Testing Exclusion Restrictions in Nonseparable Triangular Models
In recent years, estimators for nonseparable models have been developed that rely on (an) instrumental variable(s) for identification. The exclusion restriction in triangular models can be reformulated and causally decomposed under the Settable Systems extension to the Pearl Causal Model due to Chalak & White (2012). We propose two new ways of testing the exclusion restriction, one based on testing conditional independence nonparametrically and one based on multivariate conditional mutual information. Unlike existing tests for overidentifying restrictions, the proposed tests are applicable in the just identified case. An important field of application is randomized trials with partial compliance, since for that case, the exclusion restriction is not only refutable, but also confirmable. The first approach, conditional independence testing, is illustrated by the application of the nonparametric test of equality of conditional densities of Li, Maasoumi & Racine (2009) to examples from medicine and economics.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille & Philippe Février, 2011. "Identification of Nonseparable Modes with Endogeneity and Discrete Instruments," Working Papers 2011-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Markus FrÃ¶lich & Blaise Melly, 2013.
"Unconditional Quantile Treatment Effects Under Endogeneity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 346-357, July.
- Markus Frölich & Blaise Melly, 2007. "Unconditional quantile treatment effects under endogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP32/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Frölich, Markus & Melly, Blaise, 2008. "Unconditional Quantile Treatment Effects under Endogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 3288, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matz Dahlberg & Eva Mork & Per Tovmo, 2008. "Power properties of the Sargan test in the presence of measurement errors in dynamic panels," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 349-353.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Johansson, Eva & Tovmo, Per, 2002. "Power Properties of the Sargan Test in the Presence of Measurement Errors in Dynamic Panels," Working Paper Series 2002:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Chalak & Halbert White, 2008. "Causality, Conditional Independence, and Graphical Separation in Settable Systems," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 689, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Jul 2010.
- Su, Liangjun & White, Halbert, 2008. "A Nonparametric Hellinger Metric Test For Conditional Independence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 829-864, August.
- Karim Chalak & Halbert White, 2011. "Viewpoint: An extended class of instrumental variables for the estimation of causal effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(1), pages 1-51, February.
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01.
- Schennach, Susanne & White, Halbert & Chalak, Karim, 2012. "Local indirect least squares and average marginal effects in nonseparable structural systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 282-302.
- Susanne M. Schennach & Halbert White & Karim Chalak, 2007. "Estimating average marginal effects in nonseparable structural systems," CeMMAP working papers CWP31/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Susanne Schennach & Halbert White & Karim Chalak, 2007. "Local Indirect Least Squares and Average Marginal Effects in Nonseparable Structural Systems," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 680, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 26 Dec 2009.
- Li, Qi & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2009. "A nonparametric test for equality of distributions with mixed categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 186-200, February.
- Qi Li & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2008. "A Nonparametric Test for Equality of Distributions with Mixed Categorical and Continuous Data," Emory Economics 0805, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Markus Frölich, 2008. "Parametric and Nonparametric Regression in the Presence of Endogenous Control Variables," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 76(2), pages 214-227, 08.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Martin Huber & Giovanni Mellace, 2015. "Testing Instrument Validity for LATE Identification Based on Inequality Moment Constraints," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 398-411, May.
- Huber, Martin & Mellace, Giovanni, 2011. "Testing instrument validity for LATE identification based on inequality moment constraints," Economics Working Paper Series 1143, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- C. W. Granger & E. Maasoumi & J. Racine, 2004. "A Dependence Metric for Possibly Nonlinear Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 649-669, 09.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Olivier Scaillet, 2012. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variable Estimation of Structural Quantile Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 1533-1562, 07.
- Andrew Chesher, 2010. "Instrumental Variable Models for Discrete Outcomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(2), pages 575-601, 03.
- Andrew Chesher, 2008. "Instrumental variable models for discrete outcomes," CeMMAP working papers CWP30/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:taf:jnlbes:v:30:y:2012:i:2:p:275-287 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver Linton & Pedro Gozalo, 1996. "Conditional Independence Restrictions: Testing and Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1140, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- d'Haultfoeuille, Xavier, 2010. "A new instrumental method for dealing with endogenous selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille, 2008. "A New Instrumental Method for Dealing with Endogenous Selection," Working Papers 2008-23, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido M. Kuersteiner, 2004. "Semiparametric Causality Tests Using the Policy Propensity Score," NBER Working Papers 10975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:2013-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.