Union Effects and Earnings Dispersion in Australia, 1986-1994
In Australia, a large decline in union density has occurred since the mid-1970's. This paper examines the relation between the decline in union density and the dispersion of earnings in Australia between 1986 and 1994. Changes in union density are found to be associated with an increase in earnings dispersion for male employees over this period, but do not appear to be strongly related to changes in earnings dispersion for female employees. The main cause of changes in earnings dispersion for both male and female employees has been an increase in the dispersion of earnings of nonunion employees.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.mcmaster.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Paul & Mulvey, Charles, 1993.
"What Do Australians Unions Do?,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(206), pages 315-42, September.
- Miller, Paul & Mulvey, Charles, 1992. "What Do Australian Unions Do?," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt7rk2x5x2, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- P.W. Miller & C. Mulvey, 1992. "What do Australian Unions do?," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 92-19, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- David Card, 1992. "The Effect of Unions on the Distribution of Wages: Redistribution or Relabelling?," NBER Working Papers 4195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borland, Jeff & Ouliaris, S, 1994. "The Determinants of Australian Trade Union Membership," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 453-68, Oct.-Dec..
- Borland, Jeff & Wilkins, Roger, 1996.
"Earnings Inequality in Australia,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(216), pages 7-23, March.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "How Much Has De-Unionisation Contributed to the Rise in Male Earnings Inequality?," NBER Working Papers 3826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Hancock & J. E. Isaac, 1992. "Australian Experiments in Wage Policy," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 213-236, 06.
- Kenyon, Peter D & Lewis, Philip E T, 1992. "Trade Union Membership and the Accord," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(59), pages 325-45, December.
- Jeff Borland, 1991. "Incomes Policies in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 24(2), pages 45-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:cilnwp:04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.