Dynamic buy-back for product recovery in end-of-life spare parts procurement
The efficient supply of spare parts is of prime concern for OEMs. Next to the traditional spare parts sources in form of final order and remanufacturing, the option to buy back broken products prevents the OEM from fulfilling his spare parts availability obligation in the end-of-life phase and increases his ability to remanufacture. This contribution seeks to identify optimal buy-back strategies for different settings regarding information availability and buy-back flexibility. A numerical study analyzes circumstances under which buy-back is especially beneficial for the OEM.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0391) 67-18 584
Fax: (0391) 67-12 120
Web page: http://www.ww.uni-magdeburg.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esther Gal-Or, 1989. "Warranties as a Signal of Quality," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages 50-61, February.
- Karl Inderfurth & Kampan Mukherjee, 2008. "Decision support for spare parts acquisition in post product life cycle," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 17-42, March.
- Huiskonen, Janne, 2001. "Maintenance spare parts logistics: Special characteristics and strategic choices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 125-133, May.
- Kennedy, W. J. & Wayne Patterson, J. & Fredendall, Lawrence D., 2002. "An overview of recent literature on spare parts inventories," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 201-215, March.
- Saibal Ray & Tamer Boyaci & Necati Aras, 2005. "Optimal Prices and Trade-in Rebates for Durable, Remanufacturable Products," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 208-228, January.
- Kim, Bowon & Park, Sangsun, 2008. "Optimal pricing, EOL (end of life) warranty, and spare parts manufacturing strategy amid product transition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(3), pages 723-745, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mag:wpaper:09026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guido Henkel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.