Narrow Banking Reconsidered, The Functional Approach to Financial Reform
Phillips presents the functional approach to reforming the financial system.This approach advocates the structural separation of the depository and lending functions of banks. As a result of such a separation, monetary and credit policy undergo a parallel separation, and government supervision and regulation of the banking industry are modified. The policy prescription developed within this approach is narrow banking, the creation of separate monetary and financial service companies with the elimination of or a substantial reduction in deposit insurance. Narrow banking not only meets the safety and soundness goals of bank regulation, but also maintains an institutional structure that accommodates market forces and technological innovation. He recommends the creation of monetary service companies that would serve strictly a payments function and would hold only safe assets and the establishment by the federal government of a mutual fund that holds only government securities as assets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & Ronnie J. Phillips & L. Randall Wray, 1993. "The Community Reinvestment Act, Lending Discrimination, and the Role of Community Development Banks," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_95, Levy Economics Institute.
- Mark D. Flood, 1992. "The great deposit insurance debate," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 51-77.
- Hyman Minsky, 1994.
"Financial instability and the decline(?) of banking: public policy implications,"
20, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1999. "Financial Instability and the Decline (?) of Banking: Public Policy Implications," Macroeconomics 9903008, EconWPA.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1994. "Financial Instability and the Decline(?) of Banking: Public Policy Implications," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_127, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & Ronnie J. Phillips & L. Randall Wray, 1992. "Community Development Banks," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_83, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:levppb:ppb_17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.