Which Optimal Design For LLDAs?
Lottery-linked deposit accounts are financial assets that provide an interest rate determined by a lottery. The aim of this study is to determine the optimal design of these financial assets (under cumulative prospect theory (CPT) framework). We underline that the weighting functions usually specified in the literature should be re-modeled if we want to apply CPT to finance. We propose to replace them by another functional form that preserves the main characteristics of the inverse S-shape specification, but whose slope at zero is finite. The optimal structure of payments obtained is consistent with the conclusions of behavioral portfolio theory (2000).
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marie Pfiffelmann, 2007. "How to solve the St Petersburg Paradox in Rank-Dependent Models ?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2007-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Michael Kilka & Martin Weber, 2001. "What Determines the Shape of the Probability Weighting Function Under Uncertainty?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1712-1726, December.
- Kobberling, Veronika & Wakker, Peter P., 2005. "An index of loss aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 119-131, May.
- Hirshleifer, David, 2001.
"Investor Psychology and Asset Pricing,"
5300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Thaler, 1985.
"Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice,"
INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 199-214.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
- Clotfelter, Charles T & Cook, Philip J, 1990. "On the Economics of State Lotteries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 105-19, Fall.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 2000. "Behavioral Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 127-151, June.
- Mauro Guillén & Adrian Tschoegl, 2002.
"Banking on Gambling: Banks and Lottery-Linked Deposit Accounts,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 219-231, June.
- Mauro F. Guillén & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 2001. "Banking on Gambling: Banks and Lottery-Linked Deposit Accounts," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-25, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Enrico Giorgi & Thorsten Hens, 2006.
"Making prospect theory fit for finance,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 339-360, September.
- Camerer, Colin F & Ho, Teck-Hua, 1994. "Violations of the Betweenness Axiom and Nonlinearity in Probability," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 167-96, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lar:wpaper:2006-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.