Universitary Financing and Welfare: A Dynamic Analysis with Heterogeneous Agents and Overlapping Generations
This paper develops a model in which it is possible to evaluate alternatives of human capital …nancing. The alternative systems under discussion are: total feeing; graduates taxes and uniform taxes (this can be associated to the scheme presently used in the Argentina universitary system). Assessment of the alternatives is performed over welfare, based on the indicators of poverty, equality, equity (justice in the distribution) and the average levels of utility and wealth. Likewise, the functions of welfare presented by Bentham, Rawls, Atkinson, Sen and Kakwani are also considered. The most remarkable results are obtained through the simulation of an economy under three scenarios. In that way, the system of graduates taxation is found to be better for welfare; whereas the system of uniform taxation only can be justi…ed as it maximises the number of students. In addition, an analysis of political economy in this model helps to understand why a system of uniform taxation can be sustainable on the time.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Calle 48 No555 - La Plata (1900)|
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/doctrab.php
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2001.
"Credit market imperfections and persistent unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 665-679, May.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Credit Market Imperfections and Persistent Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7938, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huberto Ennis & Alberto Porto, 2001. "Igualdad de Oportunidades e Ingreso a la Universidad Pública en la Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 030, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa, 2001. "Assessing Aggregate Welfare: Growth and Inequality in Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(113), pages 49-71.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero, 2000. "Assessing Aggregate Welfare: Growth and Inequality in Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 021, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Browning, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter & Heckman, James J., 1999. "Micro data and general equilibrium models," Handbook of Macroeconomics,in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 543-633 Elsevier.
- Martin Browning & Lars Peter Hansen & James J. Heckman, 1999. "Micro Data and General Equilibrium Models," Discussion Papers 99-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Caucutt, Elizabeth M. & Kumar, Krishna B., 2003. "Higher education subsidies and heterogeneity: a dynamic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1459-1502, June.
- Elizabeth M. Caucutt & Krishna B. Kumar, 2000. "Higher Education Subsidies and Heterogeneity, A Dynamic Analysis," RCER Working Papers 472, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 1993. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," MPRA Paper 51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," Working Papers 2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjoström, 2001. "Credit rationing, wealth inequality, and allocation of talent," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 23-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjostrom, 2002. "Credit Rationing, Wealth Inequality, and Allocation of Talent," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 441, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjostrom, 2002. "Credit rationing, wealth inequality and allocation of talent," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5922, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjostrom, 2002. "Credit Rationing, Wealth Inequality, and Allocation of Talent," Economics Working Papers 0026, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Christopher Phelan, 2002. "Inequality and fairness," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B, 1992. "Public versus Private Investment in Human Capital Endogenous Growth and Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 818-834, August.
- Chen, Hung-ju, 2005. "Educational systems, growth and income distribution: a quantitative study," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 325-353, April.
- Hung-ju Chen, 2003. "Educational Systems, Growth and Income Distribution: A Quantitative Study," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 13, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:wpaper:047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Fernandez Felices)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.