Industry Location and Variety Growth: Empirical Examination of Regional Exports
Recognizing goods produced in different sub-regions within a country as distinct differentiated products, we offer new evidence of variety expansion in nation’s export. We decompose Japanese national exports into prefecture sub-regions and construct extensive margins and intensive margins of exports for sub-regions for the period between 1988 and 2005. In this study we examine exports of over 41 sub-regions of Japan in over 7,000 product categories. First, we examine to what extent the empirical findings of the extensive margin in Hummels and Klenow (2005) for cross-country samples applies to sub-regions within a country. We find that extensive margin accounts for over 60 percent of the greater exports of larger sub-regions. Second, we examine heterogeneous growth of exports variety among sub-regions for the sample periods. We find export variety of most prefectures expands in our sample periods, but decreasing in variety can also be found for prefectures positioned in either high variety or lowest variety group in 1988. We conclude that export expansion in terms of new exports from sub-regions within a country can account significant portion of product variety and export production is being dispersed among regions rather than going through the process of agglomeration.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-3-1 Matsukadai, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, 813-8503|
Web page: http://www.ip.kyusan-u.ac.jp/keizai/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Christian Broda & David E. Weinstein, 2006. "Globalization and the Gains From Variety," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(2), pages 541-585.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- Robert Feenstra & Hiau Looi Kee, 2004.
"On the Measurement of Product Variety in Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 145-149, May.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyu:dpaper:30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.