Recovery from the Mega-quake in Japan: Evidence from Manufacturing Firms
Firms which seriously suffered from the mega-quake in the East Japan in 2011 vary in the period to recover from the disaster. This paper examines what factors prolonged the periods for their recovery, using an original survey of disaster-hit firms in Tohoku area. While the cutoff of electrical power, industrial water supplies and transport network prevented the firms from recovering at the early time just after the quake, our estimated result, based on quantile regression, reveals that the severing of the supply chain significantly prolonged the period for their recovery.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toya, Hideki & Skidmore, Mark, 2007.
"Economic development and the impacts of natural disasters,"
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 20-25, January.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2005. "Economic Development and the Impacts of Natural Disasters," Working Papers 05-04, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Henriet, Fanny & Hallegatte, Stéphane & Tabourier, Lionel, 2012.
"Firm-network characteristics and economic robustness to natural disasters,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 150-167.
- Fanny Henriet & Stéphane Hallegatte & Lionel Tabourier, 2012. "Firm-network characteristics and economic robustness to natural disasters," Post-Print hal-00716554, HAL.
- Henriet, F. & Hallegatte, S. & Tabourier, L., 2011. "Firm-Network Characteristics and Economic Robustness to Natural Disasters," Working papers 355, Banque de France.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2002. "Do Natural Disasters Promote Long-Run Growth?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(4), pages 664-687, October.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2008. "How Do People Cope with Natural Disasters? Evidence from the Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) Earthquake in 1995," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 463-488, 03.
- Matthew E. Kahn, 2005. "The Death Toll from Natural Disasters: The Role of Income, Geography, and Institutions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 271-284, May.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2007. "Consumption insurance against natural disasters: evidence from the Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) earthquake," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 303-306.
- Andrea Leiter & Harald Oberhofer & Paul Raschky, 2009. "Creative Disasters? Flooding Effects on Capital, Labour and Productivity Within European Firms," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 333-350, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:867. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.