Firm-Network Characteristics and Economic Robustness to Natural Disasters
This article proposes a theoretical framework to investigate economic robustness to exogenous shocks such as natural disasters. It is based on a dynamic model that represents a regional economy as a network of production units through the disaggregation of sectorscale Input-Output tables. Results suggest that disaster-related output losses depend on direct losses heterogeneity and on the economic network structure. Two aggregate indexes, concentration and clustering, appear as important drivers of economic robustness, offering opportunities for robustness-enhancing strategies. Modern industrial organization seems to reduce short-term robustness in a trade-off against higher efficiency in normal times.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Jean Charles Hourcade & Patrice Dumas, 2007.
"Why economic dynamics matter in assessing climate change damages : illustration on extreme events,"
- Hallegatte, Stephane & Hourcade, Jean-Charles & Dumas, Patrice, 2007. "Why economic dynamics matter in assessing climate change damages: Illustration on extreme events," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 330-340, April.
- Martínez-Jaramillo, Serafín & Pérez, Omar Pérez & Embriz, Fernando Avila & Dey, Fabrizio López Gallo, 2010. "Systemic risk, financial contagion and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2358-2374, November.
- Gatti, Domenico Delli & Guilmi, Corrado Di & Gaffeo, Edoardo & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2005. "A new approach to business fluctuations: heterogeneous interacting agents, scaling laws and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 489-512, April.
- Giesecke, Kay & Weber, Stefan, 2006. "Credit contagion and aggregate losses," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 741-767, May.
- Weisbuch, Gérard & Battiston, Stefano, 2007. "From production networks to geographical economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 64(3-4), pages 448-469.
- Sungbin Cho & Peter Gordon & James E. Moore II & Harry W. Richardson & Masanobu Shinozuka & Stephanie Chang, 2001. "Integrating Transportation Network and Regional Economic Models to Estimate the Costs of a Large Urban Earthquake," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 39-65.
- B. Coluzzi & M. Ghil & S. Hallegatte & G. Weisbuch, 2010. "Boolean delay equations on networks: An application to economic damage propagation," Papers 1003.0793, arXiv.org.
- Christopher W. Anderson & Joost R. Santos & Yacov Y. Haimes, 2007. "A Risk-based Input-Output Methodology for Measuring the Effects of the August 2003 Northeast Blackout," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 183-204.
- Stefan Weber & Kay Giesecke, 2003. "Credit Contagion and Aggregate Losses," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 246, Society for Computational Economics.
- Adam Rose & Shu-Yi Liao, 2005. "Modeling Regional Economic Resilience to Disasters: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Water Service Disruptions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 75-112.
- V. Zlatic & G. Bianconi & A. Díaz-Guilera & D. Garlaschelli & F. Rao & G. Caldarelli, 2009. "On the rich-club effect in dense and weighted networks," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 67(3), pages 271-275, February.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2008.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Bank of England working papers
346, Bank of England.
- Y. Fujiwara & H. Aoyama, 2010. "Large-scale structure of a nation-wide production network," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 77(4), pages 565-580, October.
- Battiston, Stefano & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2007. "Credit chains and bankruptcy propagation in production networks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2061-2084, June.
- E Romanoff & S H Levine, 1993. "Information, interindustry dynamics, and the service industries," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(3), pages 305-316, March.
- Albala-Bertrand, J. M., 1993. "Political Economy of Large Natural Disasters: With Special Reference to Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287650, December.
- E Romanoff & S H Levine, 1993. "Information, Interindustry Dynamics, and the Service Industries," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 305-316, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.