Global Reuse and Optimal Waste Policy
Exporting used durable goods for additional consumption in a developing economy, a concept we call \global reuse", has unfortunate negative consequences if those goods contain toxic substances. The cathode ray tubes (CRTs) of televisions and personal computers contain large amounts of lead oxide and cadmium - substances harmful to the natural environment and to human health. But unfortunately the importers of used durable goods rarely possess the technologies, policies, and en- forcement infrastructures necessary to appropriately dispose hazardous waste. A simple general equilibrium model of two-country trade is constructed to discover solutions to the problems associated with global reuse, focusing on policies in de- veloped country. This paper shows that the dual policy of waste tax and exporting tax can achieve social optimum under global reuse economy with negative exter- nality of waste. When developed country is unable to assess exporting tax perhaps due to some pressure from a domestic industry, the waste tax or subsidy can be the alternative policy.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp/projectcenter/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton, Don & Wu, Wenbo, 1998.
"Policies for Green Design,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 131-148, September.
- Don Fullerton & Wenbo Wu, 1996. "Policies for Green Design," NBER Working Papers 5594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fullerton Don & Kinnaman Thomas C., 1995. "Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 78-91, July.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1993. "Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping," NBER Working Papers 4374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rob Aalbers & Herman Vollebergh, 2008. "An economic analysis of mixing wastes," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(3), pages 311-330, March.
- Rob F.T. Aalbers & Herman R.J. Vollebergh, 2005. "An Economic Analysis of Mixing Wastes," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-094/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Copeland, Brian R., 1991. "International trade in waste products in the presence of illegal disposal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 143-162, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kue:dpaper:e-09-002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graduate School of Economics Project Center)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.