Individual Preference Rankings Compatible with Prices, Income Distributions and Total Resources
We consider the problem of determining the individual preference rankings that are necessarily implied by a dataset consisting of prices, income distributions and total resources. We show the equivalence between the compatibility with individual preference rankings and the existence of a solution to a set of linear equalities and inequalities. Using this characterization, we give new proofs of the rationalizability of finite data sets where total resources are close to being collinear and the contractibility and pathconnectedness of the set that consists of rationalizable finite datasets.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-973, July.
- Balasko, Yves & Tvede, Mich, 2009.
"The geometry of finite equilibrium datasets,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(5-6), pages 391-396, May.
- Yves Balasko & Mich Tvede, 2009. "The Geometry of Finite Equilibrium Datasets," Discussion Papers 09-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1987. "Revealed Preferences and Differentiable Demand: Notes and Comments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 687-691, May.
- Chiappori, P. -A. & Ekeland, I. & Kubler, F. & Polemarchakis, H. M., 2004. "Testable implications of general equilibrium theory: a differentiable approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 105-119, February.
- P.A. Chiappori & I. Ekeland & F. Kubler & H.M. Polemarchakis, 2002. "Testable Implications of General Equilibrium Theory: a differentiable approach," Working Papers 2002-10, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Yves Balasko, 2004. "The equilibrium manifold keeps the memory of individual demand functions," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 24(3), pages 493-501, October.
- Brown, Donald J & Matzkin, Rosa L, 1996. "Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1249-1262, November.
- Donald J. Brown & Rosa L. Matzkin, 1995. "Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1109, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yves Balasko & Mich Tvede, 2003. "Individual preferences compatible with a finite number of equilibrium data: A linear programming characterization," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000291, UCLA Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)