Economic Instruments and Resource Use in a Recyclable Product Market
By constructing a static model of a recyclable product market where the product can be manufactured by using both a recycled material and a harvested natural resource, we examine how different types of economic policy instruments affect resource harvesting activities of individual producers. In particular, we show that an increase in a recycling subsidy for consumers and an increase in a waste disposal fee on consumers can respectively lead to an increase in the resource harvest level. We explore the conditions under which these economic instruments are likely to backfire in terms of natural resource conservation.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501|
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton Don & Kinnaman Thomas C., 1995.
"Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 78-91, July.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1993. "Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping," NBER Working Papers 4374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takayoshi Shinkuma, 2003. "On the Second-best Policy of Household's Waste Recycling," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Gérard Gaudet & Ngo Van Long, 2003. "Recycling Redux: A Nash-Cournot Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(4), pages 409-419.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret, 1997. "Optimal policies for solid waste disposal Taxes, subsidies, and standards," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 193-205, August.
- Martin, Robert E, 1982. "Monopoly Power and the Recycling of Raw Materials," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 405-419, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.