Portfolio decisions on life annuities and financial assets with longevity and income uncertainty
There are two stylised facts, namely weak demand for life-annuities and flat age-wealth profile that contradict the life-cycle hypothesis. In this paper we design a theoretical framework, which combines plausible arguments, which have been put forward in the literature to reconcile theory with empirical evidence. Besides the existence of an annuity market and of a public pension system we assume risk-averse individuals who are uncertain about lifetime and disposable income and who have preferences for leaving bequests. It is shown that this framework can contribute to explain the observed portfolio decision in favour of financial assets relatively to annuities.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Fax: +43 732-2468-8238|
Web page: http://www.econ.jku.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanne Pech, 2002.
"Tax incentives for private life annuities and the social security reform: Effects on consumption and on adverse selection,"
Economics working papers
2002-09, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Susanne Pech, 2004. "Tax Incentives for Private Life Annuities and the Social Security Reform: Effects on Consumption and on Adverse Selection," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(4), pages 556-, December.
- Lillard, L.A. & Waite, L.J., 1996. "Marital Disruption and Mortality," Papers 96-01, RAND - Reprint Series.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Sarah Tanner, 1995.
"Is there a retirement-savings puzzle?,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Johann Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2006.
"Adverse selection in the annuity market with sequential and simultaneous insurance demand,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 111-146, December.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2006. "Adverse selection in the annuity market with sequential and simultaneous insurance demand," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 111-146, December.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2002. "Adverse selection in the annuity market with sequential and simultaneous insurance demand," Economics working papers 2002-04, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2002. "Adverse Selection in the Annuity Market with Sequential and Simultaneous Insurance Demand," CESifo Working Paper Series 783, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lee A. Lillard & Constantijn W. A. Panis, 1998. "Panel Attrition from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics: Household Income, Marital Status, and Mortality," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(2), pages 437-457.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba & Mark J. Warshawsky, .
"New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
97-9, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Olivia S. Mitchell, 1999. "New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1299-1318, December.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba & Mark J. Warshawsky, 1997. "New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities," NBER Working Papers 6002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Eichenbaum, Martin & Peled, Dan, 1985. "Uncertain lifetimes and the welfare enhancing properties of annuity markets and social security," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 303-326, April.
- Strawczynski, Michel, 1999. "Income uncertainty and the demand for annuities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 91-96, April.
- Rodepeter, Ralf & Winter, Joachim, 1998. "Savings decisions under life-time and earnings uncertainty:," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 98-58, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Hilary W. Hoynes, 1995.
"Differential Mortality and Wealth Accumulation,"
NBER Working Papers
5126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O. Attanasio & H. W. Hoynes, . "Differential mortality and wealth accumulation," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1079-96, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985.
"Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
1664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1986. "Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1079-97, September.
- Amy Finkelstein & James Poterba, 2002. "Selection Effects in the United Kingdom Individual Annuities Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 28-50, January.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2000.
"Adverse selection in the annuity market when payoffs vary over the time of retirement,"
Economics working papers
2000-30, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2001. "Adverse Selection in the Annuity Market when Payoffs Vary over the Time of Retirement," CESifo Working Paper Series 412, CESifo Group Munich.
- Walliser, Jan, 2000. " Adverse Selection in the Annuities Market and the Impact of Privatizing Social Security," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 373-93, June.
- Peter Townley & Robin Boadway, 1986.
"Social Security and the Failure of Annuity Markets,"
652, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Townley, Peter G. C. & Boadway, Robin W., 1988. "Social security and the failure of annuity markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 75-96, February.
- R Disney & C Emmerson & M Wakefield, 2001. "Pension reform and saving in Britain," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 70-94, Spring.
- Davies, James B, 1981. "Uncertain Lifetime, Consumption, and Dissaving in Retirement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 561-77, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jku:econwp:2004_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (René Böheim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.