Does the use of multiple FTAs force firms to raise local input share? : evidence of the spaghetti bowl phenomenon
This paper empirically investigates the firm-level relationship between the local input share and the number of used FTAs by employing the data on FTA utilization in Japanese affiliates in ASEAN. As a result, we do not find a robust linear relationship. However, affiliates using a large number of FTAs (seven or eight) have an extremely higher share of local inputs. This result might be interpreted as the first evidence of the â€œspaghetti bowl phenomenonâ€ .
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 364. 2012.8|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Greenaway, David & Panagariya, Arvind, 1998. "Trading Preferentially: Theory and Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1128-48, July.
- Olivier Cadot & Jaime de Melo, 2015.
"Why OECD Countries Should Reform Rules of Origin,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Developing Countries in the World Economy, chapter 16, pages 381-409
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Shujiro Urata & Yuhong Wei, 2005.
"Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkage of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals,"
05019, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kiyota, Kozo & Matsuura, Toshiyuki & Urata, Shujiro & Wei, Yuhong, 2008. "Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1398-1414, August.
- Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Shujiro Urata & Yuhong Wei, 2007. "Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," Working Papers 563, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Demidova, Svetlana & Krishna, Kala, 2008.
"Firm heterogeneity and firm behavior with conditional policies,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 122-128, February.
- Svetlana Demidova & Kala Krishna, 2007. "Firm Heterogeneity and Firm Behavior with Conditional Policies," NBER Working Papers 12950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takahashi Katsuhide & Urata Shujiro, 2010.
"On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further Evidence,"
Business and Politics,
De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-17, April.
- TAKAHASHI Katsuhide & URATA Shujiro, 2009. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further evidence," Discussion papers 09028, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.