Agglomeration versus Fragmentation:A Comparison of East Asia and Europe
Inspired by the observed contrasting patterns of industrial distribution in East Asia and Europe, this paper conducts an empirical clarification of the difference in spatial relationships among countries within a region for the electric machinery industry by use of spatial econometric analysis. The results indicate that, while production in the electric machinery industry in a country is positively correlated with that of neighboring countries in East Asia, there is no significant spatial correlation in Europe. Such a difference in spatial interdependence has important implications for economic development in those regions.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 212. 2009. 08|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanson, G.H., 1999.
"`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration,"
439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005. "Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998. "Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," NBER Working Papers 6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Kristian Behrens & Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2012.
"‘Dual’ Gravity: Using Spatial Econometrics To Control For Multilateral Resistance,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 773-794, 08.
- KOCH, Wilfried & ERTUR, Cem & BEHRENS, Kristian, 2007. "Dual gravity : Using spatial econometrics to control for multilateral resistance," LEG - Document de travail - Economie 2007-03, LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Kristian Behrens & Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2007. "Dual' gravity: Using spatial econometrics to control for multilateral resistance," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-501, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & ERTUR, Cem & KOCH, Wilfried, 2007. "‘Dual’ gravity: using spatial econometrics to control for multilateral resistance," CORE Discussion Papers 2007059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- K. Behrens & Cem Ertur & W. Koch, 2007. "Dual gravity: Using Spatial econometrics to control for multilateral resistance," Post-Print halshs-00250297, HAL.
- Wilfried Koch & Kristian Behrens & Cem Ertur, 2007. "''Dual'' gravity: Using spatial econometrics to control for multilateral resistance," Post-Print halshs-00268962, HAL.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
- Richard Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Philippe Martin & Gianmarco Ottaviano & Frederic Robert-Nicoud, 2005.
"Economic Geography and Public Policy,"
Princeton University Press,
edition 1, number 7524.
- Richard Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Philippe Martin & Gianmarco Ottaviano & Frederic Robert Nicoud, 2003. "Economic Geography and Public Policy," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179815, HAL.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1999.
"Foreign direct investment in China: a spatial econometric study,"
1999-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Spatial Econometric Study," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- A. Porojan, 2001. "Trade Flows and Spatial Effects: The Gravity Model Revisited," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 265-280, July.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Mayer & Jacques-François Thisse, 2008.
"Economic Geography: The Integration of Regions and Nations,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Mayer & Jacques-François Thisse, 2008. "Economic Geography: The Integration of Regions and Nations," Post-Print halshs-00754863, HAL.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.