The Paradoxical Fate of the Representative Firm
While modern theorising on the microfoundation of macroeconomics makes intense use of the representative firm notion, severe objections have been raised. Regarded from the history of thought this is the second time that its usefulness is called into question. The paper presents an old literature which has ended with the abandonment of the representative firm from competition theory because it neglects the innovation issue. It shows that its subsequent adoption to macroeconomics suffers from similar flaws. It follows that the representative firm is inappropriate for the analysis of modern competitive economies and should be withdrawn from macroeconomics as well.
|Date of creation:||10 Feb 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Janssen, Maarten C.W., 1991. "The alleged necessity of microfoundations," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 619-639.
- Maarten C. W. Janssen, 1991. "What Is This Thing Called Microfoundations?," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 687-712, Winter.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-1370, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jen:jenavo:1998-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.