Labor Market Reforms and the Great Recession
Germany can be regarded as a showcase for labor market reforms. Moreover, its labor market responded only mildly to the Great Recession. This paper assesses the role of the labor market reforms for the latter development. Against this background, general lessons are drawn from the German experience that include, for example, placing a greater emphasis on work incentives, individual responsibility and flexibility in combination with a solid level of social cohesion. Although it is clear that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, models and approaches that are developed for a specific country context can draw upon a number of features of the German model.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner Eichhorst & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2007.
"And Then There Were Four...How Many (and Which) Measures of Active Labor Market Policy Do We Still Need?,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(3), pages 243-272.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2007. "And Then There Were Four... How Many (and Which) Measures of Active Labour Market Policy Do We Still Need?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Carcillo, Stéphane & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2013. "Youth Unemployment in Old Europe: The Polar Cases of France and Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 7490, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011.
"Another Economic Miracle? The German Labor Market and the Great Recession,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6250, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ulf Rinne & Klaus Zimmermann, 2012. "Another economic miracle? The German labor market and the Great Recession," IZA Journal of Labor Policy, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-21, December.
- Karl Brenke & Kai-Uwe Müller, 2013. "Gesetzlicher Mindestlohn: kein verteilungspolitisches Allheilmittel," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 80(39), pages 3-17.
- Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2013.
"Is Germany the North Star of Labor Market Policy?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ulf Rinne & Klaus F Zimmermann, 2013. "Is Germany the North Star of Labor Market Policy?," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 61(4), pages 702-729, December.
- Brenke, Karl & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2011.
"Short-Time Work: The German Answer to the Great Recession,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8449, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl BRENKE & Ulf RINNE & Klaus F. ZIMMERMANN, 2013. "Short-time work: The German answer to the Great Recession," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(2), pages 287-305, 06.
- Brenke, Karl & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011. "Short-Time Work: The German Answer to the Great Recession," IZA Discussion Papers 5780, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izapps:pp75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.