Does Conflict Disrupt Growth? Evidence of the Relationship between Political Instability and National Economic Performance
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Solomon W. Polachek & Daria Sevastianova, 2012. "Does conflict disrupt growth? Evidence of the relationship between political instability and national economic performance," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 361-388, March.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," NBER Working Papers 5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert, 1997. "Determinants Of Economic Growth A Cross-Country Empirical Study," Harvard Institute for International Development (HIID) Papers 294398, Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government.
- World Bank, 2004. "World Development Indicators 2004," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13890, November.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474.
- Paul Collier & V. L. Elliott & Håvard Hegre & Anke Hoeffler & Marta Reynal-Querol & Nicholas Sambanis, 2003. "Breaking the Conflict Trap : Civil War and Development Policy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13938, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bardwell Harrison & Iqbal Mohib, 2021. "The Economic Impact of Terrorism from 2000 to 2018," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 27(2), pages 227-261, May.
- Volker Nitsch, 2019.
"Passport, please! Travels, travails and trade,"
Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(15), pages 1274-1278, September.
- Nitsch, Volker, 2018. "Passport, please! Travels, travails and trade," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 234, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Law and Economics.
- Nitsch, Volker, 2018. "Passport, please! Travels, travails and trade," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 119305, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Nitsch, Volker, 2018. "Passport, Please! Travels, Travails and Trade," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 108195, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Awaworyi Churchill, Sefa & Munyanyi, Musharavati Ephraim & Smyth, Russell & Trinh, Trong-Anh, 2021. "Early life shocks and entrepreneurship: Evidence from the Vietnam War," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 506-518.
- Chuah, Swee Hoon & Feeny, Simon & Hoffmann, Robert & Sanjaya, Muhammad Ryan, 2019. "Conflict, ethnicity and gender: A money-burning field experiment in Indonesia," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 177(C), pages 14-17.
- Olalekan Charles Okunlola, 2019. "Political Regime Types and Economic Development in Nigeria: Significance of Conflict and Corruption," Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, , vol. 31(2), pages 183-216, July.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Carlos Bozzoli & Tilman Bruck, 2015. "The Global Economic Burden of Violent Conflict," HiCN Working Papers 199, Households in Conflict Network.
- Colin O'Reilly, 2021. "Violent conflict and institutional change," Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 29(2), pages 257-317, April.
- Rabeh Morrar & Faïz Gallouj, 2016.
"The growth of the service sector in Palestine: the productivity challenge,"
Journal of Innovation Economics, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 179-204.
- Rabeh Morrar & Faïz Gallouj, 2013. "The Growth of the Service Sector in Palestine: The productivity challenge," Post-Print halshs-01222937, HAL.
- Jorge Alvis Arrieta & Cristina Hidalgo González & María del Pilar Rodríguez Fernández, 2017. "Conflicto, posconflicto y capacidades de los gobiernos municipales en Colombia, 2002 - 2012," Revista EconomÃa y RegiÃ³n, Universidad TecnolÃ³gica de BolÃvar, vol. 11(2), pages 249-285, December.
- Arnab Biswas & Colin O’Reilly & James T. Bang & Aniruddha Mitra, 2016. "Civil war and economic growth: the case for a closer look at forms of mobilization," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(15), pages 1057-1061, October.
- Ronald Umali Mendoza & Charles Siriban & Tea Jalin Ty, 2019. "Survey Of Economic Implications Of Maritime And Territorial Disputes," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 1028-1049, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Antonio Ciccone & Marek Jarociński, 2010.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 222-246, October.
- Antonio Ciccone & Marek Jarocinski, 2007. "Determinants of economic growth: Will data tell?," Economics Working Papers 1052, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2009.
- Antonio Ciccone & Marek Jarocinski, 2010. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?," Working Papers 1009, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Marek Jarocinski & Antonio Ciccone, 2009. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?," Working Papers 2009-36, FEDEA.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Jarociński, Marek, 2008. "Determinants of economic growth: will data tell?," Working Paper Series 852, European Central Bank.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Jarocinski, Marek, 2007. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2006.
"Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment,"
The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(8), pages 1091-1115, August.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Zoega, Gylfi, 2001. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2004. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_011, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Natural Resources and Economic Growth: The Role of Investment," EPRU Working Paper Series 01-02, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason & Gylfi Zoega, 2002. "Natural Resources And Economic Growth: The Role Of Investment," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 142, Central Bank of Chile.
- Trabelsi Ramzi & Jouini Wiem, 2019. "Causality Nexus between Economic Growth, Inflation and Innovation," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 10(1), pages 35-58, March.
- Chuku Chuku & Isip Ima-Abasi & Abang Dominic, 2017. "Working Paper 284 - Growth and Fiscal Consequences of Terrorism in Nigeria," Working Paper Series 2410, African Development Bank.
- Haggard, Stephan & Tiede, Lydia, 2011. "The Rule of Law and Economic Growth: Where are We?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 673-685, May.
- Nicole Crain & W. Crain, 2006. "Terrorized economies," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 128(1), pages 317-349, July.
- Avinash Dixit, 2007.
"Evaluating Recipes for Development Success,"
World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 22(2), pages 131-157, June.
- Gnègnè, Yacouba, 2009. "Adjusted net saving and welfare change," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1127-1139, February.
- Indur Goklany, 2007. "Integrated strategies to reduce vulnerability and advance adaptation, mitigation, and sustainable development," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 755-786, June.
- Lee, Seung-Hyun & Peng, Mike W. & Song, Sangcheol, 2013. "Governments, entrepreneurs, and positive externalities: A real options perspective," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 333-347.
- Ben Abdallah, Skander & Lasserre, Pierre, 2016.
"Asset retirement with infinitely repeated alternative replacements: Harvest age and species choice in forestry,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 144-164.
- Skander Ben Abdallah & Pierre Lasserre, 2016. "Asset Retirement with Infinitely Repeated Alternative Replacements: Harvest Age and Species Choice in Forestry," CIRANO Working Papers 2016s-37, CIRANO.
- Oscar Gutiérrez & Francisco Ruiz-Aliseda, 2011. "Real options with unknown-date events," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 171-198, May.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2000. "Measurement Error and the Relationship between Investment and q," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 1027-1057, October.
- Mohammad Zulfan Tadjoeddin, 2012. "Electoral conflict and the maturity of local democracy in Indonesia: testing the modernisation hypothesis," Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 476-497.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Schreiber, Till, 2010.
"Structural policies and growth: Time series evidence from a natural experiment,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 169-179, January.
- Theo Eicher & Till Schreiber, 2006. "Structural Policies and Growth: Time Series Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Papers 48, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Kemptner, Daniel & Tolan, Songül, 2018.
"The role of time preferences in educational decision making,"
Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 25-39.
- Daniel Kemptner & Songül Tolan, 2016. "The Role of Time Preferences in Educational Decision Making," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1628, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Tolan, Songül & Kemptner, Daniel, 2016. "The Role of Time Preferences in Educational Decision Making," VfS Annual Conference 2016 (Augsburg): Demographic Change 145756, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Stern, Nicholas, 2018. "Public economics as if time matters: Climate change and the dynamics of policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 162(C), pages 4-17.
- Krause, M.U., 2002. "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials and Job Flows," Discussion Paper 2002-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wong, Kit Pong & Yi, Long, 2013. "Irreversibility, mean reversion, and investment timing," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 770-775.
- Atal, Vidya & Bar, Talia & Gordon, Sidartha, 2016. "Project selection: Commitment and competition," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 30-48.
More about this item
Keywordswar; economic growth; conflict;
All these keywords.
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- O1 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Empirical Studies of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- P47 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Performance and Prospects
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-FDG-2010-03-06 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-LAM-2010-03-06 (Central & South America)
- NEP-POL-2010-03-06 (Positive Political Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/izaaade.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Holger Hinte (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/izaaade.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.