Exchange Rate Volatility Effects on the German Labour Market: A Survey of Recent Results and Extensions
In this paper, a survey on theoretically expected and empirically proved impacts of exchange rate volatility is given. With regard to the West German unemployment, the effects of volatility are empirically analyzed using three different volatility measures and four country groups. In autoregressive models, a significant disturbing impact of volatility can be found with annual data as well as with monthly data for the whole period. While this impact does not differ for the three volatility measures, it is, however, less strong when using the monthly data. Differentiating for different subperiods by use of the monthly data, the reported impact is stronger for relatively stable periods and country groups. When isolating the cyclical component of the unemployment rate, it can be demonstrated that the whole reported impact solely affects this component. In a dynamic Okun-type relation, an additional significant impact of volatility, however, cannot be proved for all subperiods.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1987. "International trade and economic growth in the european monetary system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 389-398.
- Hamid Faruqee & Peter B. Clark, 1997. "Exchange Rate Volatility, Pricing to Market and Trade Smoothing," IMF Working Papers 97/126, International Monetary Fund.
- Falk, Rahel & Falk, Martin, 1998.
"Pricing to market of German exporters: evidence from panel data,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Falk & Rahel Falk, 2000. "Pricing to Market of German Exporters: Evidence from Panel Data," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 21-46, March.
- Stirböck, Claudia & Heinemann, Friedrich, 1999. "Capital Mobility within EMU," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-19, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- André Sapir & Khalid Sekkat, 1990. "Exchange rate volatility and international trade: the effects of the European monetary system," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8228, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Alexander Jung, 1996. "Is there a causal relationship between exchange rate volatility and unemployment?," Intereconomics- Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 31(6), pages 281-282, November.
- Peree, Eric & Steinherr, Alfred, 1989. "Exchange rate uncertainty and foreign trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1241-1264, July.
- Müller, Claudia & Buscher, Herbert S., 1999. "The impact of monetary instruments on shock absorption in EU-Countries," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-15, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy P. Marion, 1996. "Volatility and the Investment Response," NBER Working Papers 5841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Gros, 1996. "Germany’s stake in exchange rate stability," Intereconomics- Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 31(5), pages 236-240, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.