Forecasting Time-Varying Covariance Matrices In Intradaily Electricity Spot Prices
This paper deals with analysing and forecasting intradaily volatility in electricity spot prices. We analyse the hourly spot prices from the Argentine Electricity Market by grouping prices in three daily series (block bids). We estimate the VAR model for the conditional mean structure and several multivariate analysis based on the multivariate GARCH models, specifically the orthogonal GARCH by Alexander (2000) and the constrained multivariate GARCH by Engle and Mezrich (1996). We also measure the forecasting performance of the daily block bid volatilities and covariances under both approaches obtaining similar results. This methodology could be used for managing risk of block bid portfolios and also for the valuation of derivatives on intradaily time-blocks of electricity spot prices.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2002|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Antonio Rubia, 2001. "Testing For Weekly Seasonal Unit Roots In Daily Electricity Demand: Evidence From Deregulated Markets," Working Papers. Serie EC 2001-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ángel León & Antonio Rubia, 2001. "Comportamiento Del Precio Y Volatilidad En El Pool Eléctrico Español," Working Papers. Serie EC 2001-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- H. N. E. BystrOm, 2003. "The hedging performance of electricity futures on the Nordic power exchange," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-11.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2002-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.