FDI and trade: complements and substitutes
This paper presents a non-monotonic relationship between foreign direct investment and trade based on the idea that, although FDI eliminates trade costs on the final good, the investing firm has to bear increased trade costs on an intermediate good.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-471, June.
- José Pedro Pontes, 2004.
"A theory of the relationship between foreign direct investment and trade,"
AccessEcon, vol. 6(2), pages 1-8.
- José Pedro Pontes, 2004. "A theory of the relationship between foreign direct investment and trade," ERSA conference papers ersa04p47, European Regional Science Association.
- José Pedro Pontes, 2003. "A Theory of the Relationship Between Foreign Direct Investment and Trade," Working Papers Department of Economics 2003/11, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Markusen, James R., 1992. "Endogenous market structures in international trade (natura facit saltum)," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 109-129, February.
- Pain, Nigel & Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Export Performance and the Role of Foreign Direct Investment," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 62-88, Supplemen.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market,"
University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 291-314, June.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," Development Working Papers 160, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- J. Peter Neary, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and the single market," Working Papers 200124, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bettina Becker & Nigel Pain, 2008.
"What Determines Industrial R&D Expenditure In The Uk?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 76(1), pages 66-87, 01.
- Nigel Pain, 2003. "What Determines Industrial R&D Expenditure in the UK?," NIESR Discussion Papers 211, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:2:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp32006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.