“Entry Regulation Asymmetries and Gasoline Competition in a Mixed Motorway Network”
Regulatory and funding asymmetries in the Spanish motorway network produce huge differences in the structure of gasoline markets by motorway type: free or toll. While competition is encouraged among gas stations on free motorways, the regulations for toll motorways allow private concessionaires to auction all gas stations to the same provider, thereby limiting competition and consolidating market power. This paper reports how this regulatory asymmetry results in higher prices and fewer gas stations. Specifically, we show that competition is constrained on toll motorways by the granting of geographical monopolies, resulting in a small number of rivals operating in close proximity to each other, and allowing gas stations to operate as local monopolies. The lack of competition would seem to account for the price differential between toll and free motorways. According to available evidence, deregulation measures affecting toll motorway concessions could help to mitigate price inefficiencies and increase consumer welfare.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/irea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barron, John M & Taylor, Beck A & Umbeck, John R, 2000. "A Theory of Quality-Related Differences in Retail Margins: Why There Is a "Premium" on Premium Gasoline," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 550-69, October.
- Juan Jiménez & Jordi Perdiguero, 2011. "Does Accessibility Affect Retail Prices and Competition? An Empirical Application," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 677-699, December.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Engel Eduardo M & Fischer Ronald & Galetovic Alexander, 2004.
"Toll Competition Among Congested Roads,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1999. "Toll competition among congested roads," Documentos de Trabajo 54, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1999. "Toll Competition Among Congested Roads," NBER Technical Working Papers 0239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spiller, Pablo T & Huang, Cliff J, 1986. "On the Extent of the Market: Wholesale Gasoline in the Northeastern United States," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 131-45, December.
- Michael J. Mazzeo, 2002. "Competitive Outcomes in Product-Differentiated Oligopoly," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 716-728, November.
- Dieter Pennerstorfer, 2009. "Spatial price competition in retail gasoline markets: evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 133-158, March.
- Barron, John M. & Taylor, Beck A. & Umbeck, John R., 2004. "Number of sellers, average prices, and price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1041-1066, November.
- Philip Bromiley & Chris Papenhausen & Patricia Borchert, 2002. "Why do gas prices vary, or towards understanding the micro-structure of competition," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4-5), pages 171-186.
- Kay, J A & Thompson, D J, 1986. "Privatisation: A Policy in Search of a Rationale," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 18-32, March.
- Gerhard Clemenz & Klaus Gugler, 2006.
"Locational choice and price competition: some empirical results for the austrian retail gasoline market,"
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 291-312, June.
- Gerhard Clemenz & Klaus Gugler, 2002. "Locational choice and price competition: Some empirical results for the Austrian retail gasoline market," Vienna Economics Papers 0206, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Shepard, Andrea, 1991. "Price Discrimination and Retail Configuration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 30-53, February.
- Janet S. Netz & Beck A. Taylor, 2002. "Maximum Or Minimum Differentiation? Location Patterns Of Retail Outlets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 162-175, February.
- Jordi Perdiguero & Joan-Ramon Borrell, 2012. "Driving competition in local gasoline markets," Working Papers XREAP2012-04, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2012.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ira:wpaper:201218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.