Comparative Advantage or Economic Policy? Stylized Facts and Reflections on Brazil´s Insertion in the World Economy - 1994 - 2005
This paper analyzes export performance in Brazil, discussing the roles played by export diversification, productivity enhancements, policy, and natural resource endowments. First, we provide a brief account of Brazil?s recent export performance and analyze changes in the competitiveness of Brazilian exports in a long-term perspective. This is done by evaluating actual sector export patterns vis-à-vis the rest of the world in an attempt to grasp a broad picture of comparative export behavior. We proceed to evaluate changes in exports competitiveness as described by shifts in the country?s revealed export behavior compared to the rest of the world, for which we rely on a traditional Constant-Market-Share (CMS) decomposition and on an extension of Hummels and Klenow?s approach. Next, we analyze agricultural exports, a discussion followed by an evaluation of the role of trade policy, and in particular export promotion instruments and institutions. Among the conclusions we highlight that there are several commonalities between the present and previous export booms, in the sense that: a) it reinforced the country?s diversified trade relations, with additional exports concentrated in non-traditional markets such as China, Russia, Africa, and South and Central American, non-Mercosur member countries; b) it did not change the relative share of manufactures in Brazil?s export basket, despite the excellent performance of agro-based exports since the early 1990s; and c) both agricultural and manufacture exports have experienced an increasing product diversification. Yet, innovations, defined as new goods entering the export basket, were relatively unimportant, except for some specific markets.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90|
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Francis Kramarz, 2004.
"Dissecting Trade: Firms, Industries, and Export Destinations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 150-154, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Francis Kramarz, 2004. "Dissecting trade: firms, industries, and export destinations," Staff Report 332, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Francis Kramarz, 2004. "Dissecting Trade: Firms, Industries, and Export Destinations," NBER Working Papers 10344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gomes, Victor & Ellery Jr., Roberto Goes, 2007. "Perfil das Exportações, Produtividade e Tamanho das Firmas no Brasil," Revista Brasileira de Economia - RBE, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 61(1), August.
- Victor Gomes & Roberto Ellery Jr, 2005. "Perfil das Exportações, Produtividade e Tamanho das Firmas no Brasil," Discussion Papers 1087, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1978. "Alternative Trade Strategies and Employment in LDCs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 270-274, May.
- repec:idb:brikps:8551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Beghin, John C. & de Cara, Stephane & Fang, Cheng & Isik, Murat & Matthey, Holger, 2003. "Agricultural Markets Liberalization And The Doha Round," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25875, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipe:ipetds:1275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.