Does regional cost-of-living reshuffle Italian income distribution?
This paper examines how spatial price differentials affect income distribution in Italy. The distribution of household income is “reshuffled” after controlling for the purchasing power of households residents in different regions, but only when housing price variations are included in the PPP index. Poor households living in Southern Italy alleviate their relative condition, but concentration of poverty still holds in the Southern part of the country.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Coondoo & A. Majumder & R. Ray, 2004. "A Method of Calculating Regional Consumer Price Differentials with Illustrative Evidence from India," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 51-68, 03.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey, 2010.
"Market access, regional price level and wage disparities: the German case,"
Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft,
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 105-128, September.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey, 2008. "Market Access, Regional Price Level and Wage Disparities: The German Case," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200814, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Riccardo Massari & Maria Pittau & Roberto Zelli, 2009. "A dwindling middle class? Italian evidence in the 2000s," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 333-350, December.
- Dean Jolliffe, 2006. "Poverty, Prices, and Place: How Sensitive is the Spatial Distribution of Poverty to Cost of Living Adjustments?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 296-310, April.
- Dean Jolliffe & Gaurav Datt & Manohar Sharma, 2004. "Robust Poverty and Inequality Measurement in Egypt: Correcting for Spatial-price Variation and Sample Design Effects," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 557-572, November.
- Gong, Cathy Honge & Meng, Xin, 2008. "Regional Price Differences in Urban China 1986-2001: Estimation and Implication," IZA Discussion Papers 3621, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2010-166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.