Welfare, inequality and financial consequences of a multi-pillar pension system. A reform in Peru
The distributional impact of the structural pension reform in Latin American countries has been largely absent in the economic debate. However, this reform may widen inequality in old-age and reduce welfare. In this paper we study the consequences of implementing a multi-pillar system in one of these countries. We take advantage of available administrative records for Peruvian workers to estimate inequality in pensions, pension debt and welfare. Overall, our results show that the pension debt and inequality can be substantially reduced without welfare losses.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindbeck, Assar & Persson, Mats, 2002.
"The Gains from Pension Reform,"
712, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Guillermo Cruces & Leopoldo Tornarolli & Mariana Marchionni, 2009. "A Turning Point? Recent Developments on Inequality in Latin America and the Caribbean," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0081, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Alberto Arenas de Mesa & David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd, 2006. "The Chilean Pension Reform Turns 25: Lessons From the Social Protection Survey," NBER Working Papers 12401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abigail Barr & Truman G. Packard, 2005.
"Seeking solutions to Vulnerability in Old Age: Preferences, constraints, and alternatives for coverage under Peru`s pension system,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2005-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Abigail Barr & Truman Packard, 2005. "Seeking solutions to vulnerability in old age: Preferences, constraints, and alternatives for coverage under peru`s pension system," Framed Field Experiments 00123, The Field Experiments Website.
- Abigail Barr & Truman G. Packard, 2005. "Seeking solutions to Vulnerability in Old Age: Preferences, constraints, and alternatives for coverage under Peru’s pension system," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2010-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.