Distributional Consequences of Fiscal Consolidation and the Role of Fiscal Policy: What Do the Data Say?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- John M. Piotrowski & David Coady & Justin Tyson & Rolando Ossowski & Robert Gillingham & Shamsuddin Tareq, 2010. "Petroleum Product Subsidies; Costly, Inequitable, and On the Rise," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/05, International Monetary Fund.
- Luca Agnello & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2014.
"How Does Fiscal Consolidation Impact on Income Inequality?,"
Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 60(4), pages 702-726, December.
- L, Agnello. & R, M. Sousa., 2012. "How does Fiscal Consolidation Impact on Income Inequality?," Working papers 382, Banque de France.
- Giovanni S. F. Bruno, 2005.
"Estimation and inference in dynamic unbalanced panel-data models with a small number of individuals,"
Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 5(4), pages 473-500, December.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno, 2005. "Estimation and inference in dynamic unbalanced panel data models with a small number of individuals," KITeS Working Papers 165, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2005.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "From Financial Crash to Debt Crisis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1676-1706, August.
- Andrea Brandolini & Anthony B. Atkinson, 2001. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of "Secondary" Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries As a Case Study," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 771-799, September.
- Francesca Bastagli & David Coady & Sanjeev Gupta, 2012. "Income Inequality and Fiscal Policy (2nd Edition)," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/08R, International Monetary Fund.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Jaejoon Woo & Elva Bova & Tidiane Kinda & Y. Sophia Zhang, 2017. "Distributional Consequences of Fiscal Adjustments: What Do the Data Say?," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 65(2), pages 273-307, June.
- Agnello, Luca & Castro, Vitor & Sousa, Ricardo M., 2013.
"What determines the duration of a fiscal consolidation program?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 113-134.
- Luca Agnello & Vítor Castro & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2012. "What determines the duration of a fiscal consolidation program?," NIPE Working Papers 17/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Luca Agnello & Vitor Castro & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2013. "What Determines the Duration of a Fiscal Consolidation Program?," GEMF Working Papers 2013-09, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Heshmati, Almas & Kim, Jungsuk, 2014.
"A Survey of the Role of Fiscal Policy in Addressing Income Inequality, Poverty Reduction and Inclusive Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
8119, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Jungsuk Kim & Almas Heshmati, 2016. "A Survey of the Role of Fiscal Policy in Addressing Income Inequality, Poverty Reduction and Inclusive Growth," Working Papers id:8421, eSocialSciences.
- Vitor Castro, 2016. "On the behaviour of the functional components ofgovernment expenditures during fiscal consolidations," NIPE Working Papers 11/2016, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Vanesa Jorda & Jose M. Alonso, 2020. "What works to mitigate and reduce relative (and absolute) inequality?: A systematic review," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2020-152, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Castro, Vítor, 2017. "The impact of fiscal consolidations on the functional components of government expenditures," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 138-150.
- Ángeles Sánchez & Antonio L. Pérez-Corral, 2018. "Government Social Expenditure and Income Inequalities in the European Union," Hacienda Pública Española / Review of Public Economics, IEF, vol. 227(4), pages 133-156, December.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Alexandru Minea & Cezara Vinturis & Pegdéwendé Nestor Sawadogo, 2019. "Can fiscal rules curb income inequality? Evidence from developing countries," Working Papers halshs-02423126, HAL.
- Facundo Alvaredo & Leonardo Gasparini, 2013. "Recent Trends in Inequality and Poverty in Developing Countries," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0151, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Ciminelli, Gabriele & Ernst, Ekkehard & Merola, Rossana & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2019.
"The composition effects of tax-based consolidation on income inequality,"
European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 107-124.
- Ciminelli, Gabriele & Ernst, Ekkehard & Giuliodori, Massimo & Merola, Rossana, 2017. "The Composition Effects of Tax-Based Consolidations on Income Inequality," GLO Discussion Paper Series 25, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Ciminelli, Gabriele. & Ernst, Ekkehard & Giuliodori, Massimo. & Merola, Rossana., 2017. "The composition effects of tax-based consolidations on income inequality," ILO Working Papers 994966692502676, International Labour Organization.
- Azevedo, Joao Pedro & David, Antonio C. & Bastos, Fabiano Rodrigues & Pineda, Emilio, 2014.
"Fiscal adjustment and income inequality : sub-national evidence from Brazil,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6945, The World Bank.
- Emilio Pineda & Mr. Antonio David & Mr. Fabiano Rodrigues Rodrigues Bastos & João Pedro Azevedo, 2014. "Fiscal Adjustment and Income Inequality: Sub-national Evidence from Brazil," IMF Working Papers 2014/085, International Monetary Fund.
- Mr. Daniel Leigh & Laurence M. Ball & Davide Furceri & Mr. Prakash Loungani, 2013. "The Distributional Effects of Fiscal Consolidation," IMF Working Papers 2013/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Oueslati, Walid & Zipperer, Vera & Rousselière, Damien & Dimitropoulos, Alexandros, 2017.
"Energy taxes, reforms and income inequality: An empirical cross-country analysis,"
International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 80-95.
- Walid Oueslati & Vera Zipperer & Damien Rousselière & Alexandros Dimitropoulos, 2017. "Energy taxes, reforms and income inequality: An empirical cross-country analysis," International Economics, CEPII research center, issue 150, pages 80-95.
- Caterina Astarita & Salvador Barrios & Francesca D'Auria & Anamaria Maftei & Philipp Mohl & Matteo Salto & Marie-Luise Schmitz & Alberto Tumino & Edouard Turkisch, 2018. "Impact of fiscal policy on income distribution," Report on Public Finances in EMU, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission, pages 71-131, January.
- Christoph A. Schaltegger & Martin Weder, 2013. "Will Europe Face A Lost Decade? A Comparison With Japan's Economic Crisis," CREMA Working Paper Series 2013-03, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Simone Salotti & Carmine Trecroci, 2018. "Cross-country evidence on the distributional impact of fiscal policy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(51), pages 5521-5542, November.
- VÃtor Castro, 2018. "Functional components of public expenditure, fiscal consolidations, and economic activity," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 124-150, March.
- Thi Hong Hanh Pham, 2015. "Income Inequality and Foreign Aid," Working Papers hal-01158240, HAL.
- Schaltegger, Christoph A. & Weder, Martin, 2014. "Austerity, inequality and politics," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 1-22.
- Almas Heshmati & Jungsuk Kim & Jacob Wood, 2019. "A Survey of Inclusive Growth Policy," Economies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(3), pages 1-18, July.
More about this item
KeywordsWP; income; Gini coefficient; Inequality; Fiscal Consolidation; Fiscal Policy; Tax and Spending policy; inequality data; market income; income share; wage bill; income equality; low income; simple average; incomes database; correlation coefficient; order of magnitude; determinants of income inequality; income Gini coefficient; Income inequality; Income distribution; Disposable income; Personal income; Europe; Global; Sub-Saharan Africa; Western Europe; Asia and Pacific;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:2013/195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Akshay Modi (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.