Fishing Location decisions in the Chilean-Transzonal Jack Mackerel Fishery
This study examines factors conditioning the fishing location decisions of the Chilean fleet operating in the South-east Pacific straddling jack mackerel fishery, considering voyage data for the1987-2004 period. As from the early 1990s, this fleet began to move beyond the 200 nm zone, responding to changes in the spatial distribution of the species. It is thought that this change dynamics may have been intensified by the strong 1997-98 El Niño event. The return of distant water-fishing-nation’s fleets to this fishery, as from the year 2000, has increased interest in understanding effects related with this spatial change dynamics. This paper is an econometric analysis of the effect of environmental, regulatory, technological and economic factors on the fishing location decisions of the Chilean fleet working in this fishery. The possible influence of El Niño events on the spatial operations of this fleet is tested.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Erasmo Escala 1835, 6500620 Santiago|
Phone: (562) 692-0265
Fax: (562) 692-0303
Web page: http://www.economia.uahurtado.cl/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynham, John, 2006. "Schools of Fishermen: A Theory of Information Sharing in Spatial Search," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21442, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Peña-Torres, Julio & Vergara, Sebastián & Basch, Michael, 2004.
"El dilema de la escala productiva frente a ciclos de abundancia. La pesca industrial en Chile,"
El Trimestre Económico,
Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(283), pages 575-612, julio-sep.
- Julio Peña-Torres & Michael Basch & Sebastian Vergara, . "El Dilema de la Escala Productiva frente a Ciclos de Abundancia: La Pesca Industrial en Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv142, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Opaluch, James J., 1983. "Discrete modelling of supply response under uncertainty: The case of the fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 125-137, June.
- Martin D. Smith, 2000. "Spatial Search and Fishing Location Choice: Methodological Challenges of Empirical Modeling," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1198-1206.
- Daniel S. Holland & Jon G. Sutinen, 2000. "Location Choice in New England Trawl Fisheries: Old Habits Die Hard," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(1), pages 133-149.
- Smith, Martin D., 2005. "State dependence and heterogeneity in fishing location choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 319-340, September.
- Johan A. Mistiaen & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Location Choice of Commercial Fishermen with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1184-1190.
- Martin D. Smith, 2002. "Two Econometric Approaches for Predicting the Spatial Behavior of Renewable Resource Harvesters," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 522-538.
- Mark M. Fleming, 2000. "Spatial Statistics and Econometrics for Models in Fisheries Economics: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1207-1209.
- Julio Peña & Claudio Agostini & Sebastián Vergara, 2007. "Fish stock endogeneity in a harvest function: ‘El Niño’ effects on the Chilean jack mackerel fishery," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 22(2), pages 75-99, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ila:ilades:inv217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.