Common Property, Information, and Cooperation: Commercial Fishing in the Bering Sea
A substantial theoretical and experimental literature has focused on the conditions under which cooperative behavior among actors providing public goods or extracting common-pool resources arises. The literature identifies the importance of coercion, small groups of actors, or the existence of social norms as conducive to cooperation. This research empirically investigates cooperative behavior in a natural resource extraction industry in which the provision of a public good (bycatch avoidance) in the Alaskan flatfish fishery is essential to the duration of the fishing season, and an information provision mechanism exists to relay information to all individuals. Using a mixed logit model of spatial fishing behavior our results show that conditionally cooperative behavior is prevalent but deteriorates as bycatch constraints tighten.
|Date of creation:||14 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (757) 221-4311
Fax: (757) 221-2390
Web page: http://www.wm.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank P. Maier-Rigaud & Jose Apesteguia, 2004. "The Role of Rivalry. Public Goods versus Common-Pool Resources," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2004_2, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Smith, Martin D., 2005. "State dependence and heterogeneity in fishing location choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 319-340, September.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Opaluch, James J., 1983. "Discrete modelling of supply response under uncertainty: The case of the fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 125-137, June.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Eggert, Håkan & Tveterås, Ragnar, 2001.
"Stochastic Production and Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers’ Gear Choices,"
Working Papers in Economics
54, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Eggert, Hakan & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2001. "Stochastic Production And Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Commercial Fishers' Gear Choice," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20671, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2, September.
- Siv Reithe & Michaela Aschan, 2004. "Bioeconomic Analysis of By-Catch of Juvenile Fish in the Shrimp Fisheries – an Evaluation of Management Procedures in the Barents Sea," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(1), pages 55-72, May.
- Daniel S. Holland & Jon G. Sutinen, 2000. "Location Choice in New England Trawl Fisheries: Old Habits Die Hard," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(1), pages 133-149.
- Gerber, Jean-David & Knoepfel, Peter & Nahrath, Stéphane & Varone, Frédéric, 2009. "Institutional Resource Regimes: Towards sustainability through the combination of property-rights theory and policy analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 798-809, January.
- R. Isaac & James Walker & Susan Thomas, 1984. "Divergent evidence on free riding: An experimental examination of possible explanations," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 113-149, January.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Smith, Martin D. & Wilen, James E., 2003. "Economic impacts of marine reserves: the importance of spatial behavior," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-206, September.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2000. "Collective Action and the Evolution of Social Norms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 137-158, Summer.
- Abbott, Joshua K. & Wilen, James E., 2011. "Dissecting the tragedy: A spatial model of behavior in the commons," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 386-401.
- Johan A. Mistiaen & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Location Choice of Commercial Fishermen with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1184-1190.
- Rita Curtis & Robert L. Hicks, 2000. "The Cost of Sea Turtle Preservation: The Case of Hawaii's Pelagic Longliners," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1191-1197.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1990. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities: A Correction," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 189-90, February.
- Gilman, Eric L. & Dalzell, Paul & Martin, Sean, 2006. "Fleet communication to abate fisheries bycatch," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 360-366, July.
- Douglas M. Larson & Brett W. House & Joseph M. Terry, 1998. "Bycatch Control in Multispecies Fisheries: A Quasi-rent Share Approach to the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands Midwater Trawl Pollock Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 778-792.
- Kathryn D. Bisack & Jon G. Sutinen, 2006. "Harbor Porpoise Bycatch: ITQs or Time/Area Closures in the New England Gillnet Fishery," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 82(1), pages 85-102.
- Todd Sandler & Daniel G. Arce M., 2003. "Pure Public Goods versus Commons: Benefit-Cost Duality," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(3), pages 355-368.
- Sean Pascoe & Andy Revill, 2004. "Costs and Benefits of Bycatch Reduction Devices in European Brown Shrimp Trawl Fisheries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(1), pages 43-64, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwm:wpaper:80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daifeng He)or (Alfredo Pereira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.