Nonparametric estimation of multivariate elliptic densities via finite mixture sieves
This paper considers the class of p-dimensional elliptic distributions (p = 1) satisfying the consistency property (Kano, 1994) and within this general frame work presents a two-stage semiparametric estimator for the Lebesgue density based on Gaussian mixture sieves. Under the online Exponentiated Gradient (EG) algorithm of Helmbold et al. (1997) and without restricting the mixing measure to have compact support, the estimator produces estimates converging uniformly in probability to the true elliptic density at a rate that is independent of the dimension of the problem, hence circumventing the familiar curse of dimensionality inherent to many semiparametric estimators. The rate performance of our estimator depends on the tail behaviour of the underlying mixing density (and hence that of the data) rather than smoothness properties. In fact, our method achieves a rate of at least Op(n-1/4), provided only some positive moment exists. When further moments exists, the rate improves reaching Op(n-3/8) as the tails of the true density converge to those of a normal. Unlike the elliptic density estimator of Liebscher (2005), our sieve estimator always yields an estimate that is a valid density, and is also attractive from a practical perspective as it accepts data as a stream, thus significantly reducing computational and storage requirements. Monte Carlo experimentation indicates encouraging finite sample performance over a range of elliptic densities. The estimator is also implemented in a binary classification task using the well-known Wisconsin breast cancer dataset. This paper is forthcoming in the The Journal of Multivariate Analysis
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hajo Holzmann & Axel Munk & Tilmann Gneiting, 2006. "Identifiability of Finite Mixtures of Elliptical Distributions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(4), pages 753-763.
- Patrick Marsh, 2007. "Constructing Optimal tests on a Lagged dependent variable," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 723-743, 09.
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521537469 is not listed on IDEAS
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Sain, Stephan R., 2002. "Multivariate locally adaptive density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 165-186, April.
- Madeleine Cule & Richard Samworth & Michael Stewart, 2010. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a multi-dimensional log-concave density," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(5), pages 545-607.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521822893 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liebscher, Eckhard, 2005. "A semiparametric density estimator based on elliptical distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 205-225, January.
- Abdul-Hamid, Husein & Nolan, John P., 1998. "Multivariate Stable Densities as Functions of One Dimensional Projections," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 80-89, October.
- Berk, Jonathan B., 1997. "Necessary Conditions for the CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 245-257, March.
- Kano, Y., 1994. "Consistency Property of Elliptic Probability Density Functions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 139-147, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:41/13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.