Testing for a Constant Mean Function using Functional Regression
In this paper, we study functional regression and its properties in testing the hypothesis of a constant zero mean function or an unknown constant non-zero mean function. As we show, the associated Wald test statistics have standard chi-square limiting null distributions, standard non-central chi-square distributions for local alternatives converging to zero at root-n rate, and are consistent against global alternatives. These properties permit computationally convenient tests for hypotheses involving nuisance parameters. In particular, we develop new alternatives to tests for mixture distributions and for regression misspecification, both of which involve nuisance parameters identified only under the alternative. In Monte Carlo studies, we find that our tests have well behaved levels. We find that the new procedures may sacrifice only exploit the covariance structure of the Gaussian processes underlying our statistics. Further, functional regression tests can have power better than existing methods that do not exploit this covariance structure, like the specification testing procedures of Bierens (1982, 1990) or Stinchcombe and White (1998).
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-5-Ga, Anam-dong, Sung buk-ku, Seoul, 136-701|
Fax: (82-2) 928-4948
Web page: http://econ.korea.ac.kr/~ri
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APGRADIENTTEST: RATS procedure to perform Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test for GARCH/Maximum Likelihood," Statistical Software Components RTS00007, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APBREAKTEST: RATS procedure to implement Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00006, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "Using Least Squares to Approximate Unknown Regression Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 149-70, February.
- Jin Seo Cho & Halbert White, 2007. "Testing for Regime Switching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1671-1720, November.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Potscher, Benedikt M. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1987.
"A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Process,"
87-26, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Potscher, Benedikt M & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1989. "A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 675-83, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Maxwell B. Stinchcombe & Halbert White, 1992. "Some Measurability Results for Extrema of Random Functions Over Random Sets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 495-514.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iek:wpaper:0915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kim, Jisoo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.