Testing for non-nested conditional moment restrictions using unconditional empirical likelihood
We propose non-nested hypothesis tests for conditional moment restriction models based on the method of generalized empirical likelihood (GEL). By utilizing the implied GEL probabilities from a sequence of unconditional moment restrictions that contains equivalent information of the conditional moment restrictions, we construct Kolmogorov–Smirnov and Cramér–von Mises type moment encompassing tests. Advantages of our tests over Otsu and Whang’s (2011) tests are: (i) they are free from smoothing parameters, (ii) they can be applied to weakly dependent data, and (iii) they allow non-smooth moment functions. We derive the null distributions, validity of a bootstrap procedure, and local and global power properties of our tests. The simulation results show that our tests have reasonable size and power performance in finite samples.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995.
"Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1736, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Guido W. Imbens & Richard H. Spady & Phillip Johnson, 1998. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 333-358, March.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W Imbens, Phillip Johnson & Richard H Spady, . "Information theoretic approaches to inference in moment condition model," Economics Papers W12., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Imbens, G.W. & Johnson, P. & Spady, R.H., 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Movement Condition Models," Economics Papers 99, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Taisuke Otsu & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2005.
"Testing for Non-nested Conditional Moment Retrictions via Conditional Empirical Likelihood,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1533, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Otsu, Taisuke & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2011. "Testing For Nonnested Conditional Moment Restrictions Via Conditional Empirical Likelihood," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 114-153, February.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2001.
"A score test for non-nested hypotheses with applications to discrete data models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 577-597.
- J M C Santos Silva, 1996. "A Score Test for Non-nested Hypotheses with Applications to Discrete Data Models," Discussion Papers 96-28 ISSN 1350-6722, University College London, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Richard J, 1997. "Alternative Semi-parametric Likelihood Approaches to Generalised Method of Moments Estimation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 503-19, March.
- Hong, Han & Preston, Bruce & Shum, Matthew, 2003. "Generalized Empirical Likelihood Based Model Selection Criteria For Moment Condition Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 923-943, December.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2003. "Empirical likelihood estimation and consistent tests with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-93, November.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1983. "Model Specification Tests Against Non-Nested Alternatives," Working Papers 573, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Singleton, Kenneth J., 1985. "Testing specifications of economic agents' intertemporal optimum problems in the presence of alternative models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 391-413.
- Potscher, Benedikt M & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1989.
"A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Processes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 675-83, May.
- Potscher, Benedikt M. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1987. "A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Process," Working Papers 87-26, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ghysels, Eric & Hall, Alastair, 1990.
"Testing nonnested Euler conditions with quadrature-based methods of approximation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 273-308, December.
- Ghysels, E. & Hall, A., 1987. "Testing Non-Nested Euler Conditions with Quadrature-Based Methods of Approximation," Cahiers de recherche 8703, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Radulovic, Dragan, 1996. "The bootstrap for empirical processes based on stationary observations," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 259-279, December.
- Smith, Richard J, 1992. "Non-nested.Tests for Competing Models Estimated by Generalized Method of Moments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 973-80, July.
- Ramalho, Joaquim J. S. & Smith, Richard J., 2002. "Generalized empirical likelihood non-nested tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 99-125, March.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
- Bühlmann, Peter, 1995. "The blockwise bootstrap for general empirical processes of stationary sequences," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 247-265, August.
- Stinchcombe, Maxwell B. & White, Halbert, 1998. "Consistent Specification Testing With Nuisance Parameters Present Only Under The Alternative," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 295-325, June.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2001.
"Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models,"
CIRJE-F-124, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2004. "Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1667-1714, November.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jian Zhang, 2003. "Sieve Empirical Likelihood and Extensions of the Generalized Least Squares," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Pasaran, B., 1989.
"A Simulation Approach To The Problem Of Computing Cox'S Statistic For Testing Non-Nested Models,"
7, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Hashem Pesaran, M. & Pesaran, Bahram, 1993. "A simulation approach to the problem of computing Cox's statistic for testing nonnested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 377-392.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 1986. "Testing non-nested hypotheses," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 44, pages 2583-2637 Elsevier.
- Melvyn Weeks, . "Testing Binomial and Multinomial Choice Models Using Cox's Non-Nested Test," Discussion Papers 95/45, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2007. "Point estimation with exponentially tilted empirical likelihood," Papers 0708.1874, arXiv.org.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hong, Han & Shum, Matthew, 2007. "Nonparametric likelihood ratio model selection tests between parametric likelihood and moment condition models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 109-140, November.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Weeks, M., 1999. "Non-nested Hypothesis Testing: An Overview," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9918, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1987. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers [On Unification of the Asymptotic Theory of Nonlinear Econometric Models]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1465-71, November.
- Manuel A. Domínguez & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2004. "Consistent Estimation of Models Defined by Conditional Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1601-1615, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:167:y:2012:i:2:p:370-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.