SubGame, set and match. Identifying Incentive Response in a Tournament
Data from Association de Tennis Professionel (ATP) championship tennis tournament finals are used to test for strategic behavior of players and their responses to incentives. Tennis provides a rich environment for the study of incentive response because of the individual nature of the sport, and the clearly defined tournament structure. The parameters of a sequential game model are estimated and, controlling for measured ability differences, the existence of strategic decision making where players’ efforts vary depending on the state of the match is tested against the alternative that players do not alter their effort in response to incentives.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 340-6463
Fax: (514) 340-6469
Web page: http://www.hec.ca/iea/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institut d'économie appliquée HEC Montréal 3000, Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine Montréal, Québec H3T 2A7|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1979.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
0401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, June.
- Boulier, Bryan L. & Stekler, H. O., 1999. "Are sports seedings good predictors?: an evaluation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-91, February.
- Bull, Clive & Schotter, Andrew & Weigelt, Keith, 1985.
"Tournaments and Piece Rates: An Experimental Study,"
85-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bull, Clive & Schotter, Andrew & Weigelt, Keith, 1987. "Tournaments and Piece Rates: An Experimental Study," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 1-33, February.
- Christopher Ferrall & Anthony A. Smith, 1999.
"A Sequential Game Model Of Sports Championship Series: Theory And Estimation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 704-719, November.
- Christopher Ferrall & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "A Sequential Game Model of Sports Championship Series: Theory and Estimation," GSIA Working Papers 1997-38, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iea:carech:0402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Power)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.