The Impact of Bank Credit on Employment Formality in Uruguay
This paper examines the effect of bank credit on employment formalization in Uruguay. Using a difference-in-differences methodology proposed by Cata~o, Page´s and Rosales (2011), the paper finds that financial deepening decreases informality, especially in more financially dependent sectors. The effect is additionally found to be greater for women and younger workers. Despite the severe economic crisis and a sharp contraction of bank credit experienced by the economy in the period of analysis, no evidence is found that the effect of bank credit on employment formality has changed over time.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catão, Luis A. V. & Pagés, Carmen & Rosales, Maria Fernanda, 2009.
"Financial Dependence, Formal Credit, and Informal Jobs: New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4609, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luis Catão & Carmen Pagés & María Fernanda Rosales, 2009. "Financial Dependence, Formal Credit and Informal Jobs: New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4123, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Luis Catao & Carmen Pages & Maria Fernanda Rosales, 2009. "Financial Dependence, Formal Credit and Informal Jobs - New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data," Research Department Publications 4642, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- S.K. Bhutani, 2009. "China and India," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 65(4), pages 383-391, October.
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Vella, F., 2002.
"Estimating dynamic models from repeated cross-sections,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2002-05, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Verbeek, Marno & Vella, Francis, 2005. "Estimating dynamic models from repeated cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 83-102, July.
- D'Erasmo, Pablo N. & Moscoso Boedo, Hernan J., 2012.
"Financial structure, informality and development,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 286-302.
- Hernan Moscoso Boedo & Pablo D'Erasmo, 2010. "Financial Structure, Informality and Development," 2010 Meeting Papers 319, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hernan J Moscoso Boedo & Pablo N D’Erasmo, 2009. "Financial Structure, Informality and Development," Virginia Economics Online Papers 374, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2008.
"The Unofficial Economy and Economic Development,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 275-363.
- Adriana Cassoni, 2001. "Unemployment and precariousness of employment in Uruguay: who are the losers?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1601, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007.
"Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India,"
NBER Working Papers
13290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2009. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1403-1448.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J Klenow, 2008. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," 2008 Meeting Papers 121, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter Klenow, 2009. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Working Papers 09-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Discussion Papers 07-006, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Chang, Tai Hsieh & Peter, J- Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and manufacturing TFP in China and India," MPRA Paper 35084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jun 2007.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1993. "Identification and estimation of dynamic models with a time series of repeated cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 99-123, September.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 2000.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 261-300.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Ignacio Munyo, 2004. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from an Economy without Stock Market," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 267, Econometric Society.
- Francisca Antman & David J. McKenzie, 2007.
"Earnings Mobility and Measurement Error: A Pseudo-Panel Approach,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 125-161.
- Antman, Francisca & McKenzie, David J., 2005. "Earnings mobility and measurement error : a pseudo-panel approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3745, The World Bank.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007.
"Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0046, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Gasparini Leonardo & Leonardo Tornaroli, 2009. "Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4778. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.