Housing Finance in Peru: What is Holding it Back?
Housing for most Peruvians is improving but is still grossly inadequate. Nonetheless, public housing finance policies mainly involve programs that subsidize middle-income families and banks that lend to them. Research summarized in this paper indicates that financing will not be the main obstacle to improving housing conditions in Peru and that public sector efforts would be better aimed at dealing with issues where significant externalities and institutional restrictions limit market development. Thus, public sector efforts and funds could temporarily support the development of: i) cheaper construction techniques and materials, ii) lower-cost credit technologies for low-income housing credits and iii) increasing the availability of adequately enabled land for large-scale low- income housing projects.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bank for International Settlements, 2006. "Housing finance in the global financial market," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 26.
- Alcazar, Rafael, 2009. "Mecanismos alternativos para el financiamiento hipotecario en el Perú," Revista Moneda, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 140, pages 32-35.
- Warnock, Veronica Cacdac & Warnock, Francis E., 2008.
"Markets and housing finance,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 239-251, September.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp221, IIIS.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2008. "Markets and Housing Finance," Working Papers 032008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," NBER Working Papers 13081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morris, Felipe, 2009. "Las alternativas para el financiamiento hipotecario en el Perú," Revista Moneda, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 140, pages 27-31.
- Fernando A. Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2008. "Enforcement Problems and Secondary Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 683-694, 04-05.
- Broner, Fernando A & Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2007. "Enforcement Problems and Secondary Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6498, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Enforcement problems and secondary markets," Economics Working Papers 1049, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fernando A. Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Enforcement Problems and Secondary Markets," NBER Working Papers 13559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judy L. Baker, 2000. "Evaluating the Impact of Development Projects on Poverty : A Handbook for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13949, August.
- Shahidur R. Khandker & Gayatri B. Koolwal & Hussain A. Samad, 2010. "Handbook on Impact Evaluation : Quantitative Methods and Practices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2693, August.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Barco, Daniel & Iberico, Jorge & Medina, Andres, 2009. "Situación del crédito hipotecario en el Perú," Revista Moneda, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 140, pages 7-13. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4748. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.