Backward Stochastic PDEs Related to the Utility Maximization Problem
We study utility maximization problem for general utility functions using dynamic programming approach. We consider an incomplete financial market model, where the dynamics of asset prices are described by an Rd-valued continuous semimartingale. Under some regularity assumptions we derive backward stochastic partial differential equation (BSPDE) related directly to the primal problem and show that the strategy is optimal if and only if the corresponding wealth process satisfies a certain forward-SDE. As examples the cases of power, exponential and logarithmic utilities are considered
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rheinländer, Thorsten & Schweizer, Martin, 1997. "On L2-projections on a space of stochastic integrals," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,25, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Norbert Hofmann & Eckhard Platen & Martin Schweizer, 1992.
"Option Pricing Under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 153-187.
- N. Hofmann & E. Platen & M. Schweizer, 1992. "Option Pricing under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility," Discussion Paper Serie B 209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- J. Michael Harrison & Stanley R. Pliska, 1981. "Martingales and Stochastic Integrals in the Theory of Continous Trading," Discussion Papers 454, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Manfred Schäl, 1994. "On Quadratic Cost Criteria for Option Hedging," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 19(1), pages 121-131, February.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005. "Theory of rational option pricing," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- N. El Karoui & S. Peng & M. C. Quenez, 1997. "Backward Stochastic Differential Equations in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-71.
- Martin Schweizer & Christophe Stricker & Freddy Delbaen & Pascale Monat & Walter Schachermayer, 1997. "Weighted norm inequalities and hedging in incomplete markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 181-227.
- Mania, M., 2000. "A general problem of an optimal equivalent change of measure and contingent claim pricing in an incomplete market," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 19-42, November.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean Paul Laurent & Huyên Pham, 1998. "Mean-Variance Hedging and Numéraire," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 179-200.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Laurent, Jean-Paul & Pham, Huyên, 1996. "Mean-variance hedging and numeraire," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9611, CEPREMAP.
- Richard Bellman, 1957. "On a Dynamic Programming Approach to the Caterer Problem--I," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 270-278, April.
- Martin Schweizer & HuyËn Pham & (*), Thorsten RheinlÄnder, 1998. "Mean-variance hedging for continuous processes: New proofs and examples," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 173-198.
- David Heath & Eckhard Platen & Martin Schweizer, 2001. "A Comparison of Two Quadratic Approaches to Hedging in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 385-413.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Freddy Delbaen & Peter Grandits & Thorsten Rheinländer & Dominick Samperi & Martin Schweizer & Christophe Stricker, 2002. "Exponential Hedging and Entropic Penalties," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 99-123.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "The Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure and the Valuation Problem in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 39-52.
- Francesca Biagini & Paolo Guasoni & Maurizio Pratelli, 2000. "Mean-Variance Hedging for Stochastic Volatility Models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 109-123.
- Michael Mania & Martin Schweizer, 2005. "Dynamic exponential utility indifference valuation," Papers math/0508489, arXiv.org.
- Richard Rouge & Nicole El Karoui, 2000. "Pricing Via Utility Maximization and Entropy," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 259-276.
- Dimitris Bertsimas & Leonid Kogan & Andrew W. Lo, 2001. "Hedging Derivative Securities and Incomplete Markets: An (epsilon)-Arbitrage Approach," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 372-397, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpmath:07-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.