When x Becomes x': Sameness and the Internal Consistency of Choice
The fact that any two choices are necessarily asynchronous raises the question of whether some alternative x at moment t remains the same alternative x at moment t + 1. It is argued that this question cannot be answered without taking into account the decision-maker’s perception of the choice problem. Consequently, an objective description of a choice problem is impossible for each description involves an interpretation. A definition of sameness is provided and an extension of the standard choice model is suggested. The problem of the possibility of different perceptions of the decision-maker and the observer is emphasized
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuelson, William & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1988. "Status Quo Bias in Decision Making," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-59, March.
- Ariel Rubinstein & Yuval Salant, 2012.
"Eliciting Welfare Preferences from Behavioural Data Sets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 79(1), pages 375-387.
- Ariel Rubinstein & Yuval Salant, 2009. "Eliciting Welfare Preferences from Behavioral Datasets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 814577000000000374, David K. Levine.
- Gregory W. Fischer & Ziv Carmon & Dan Ariely & Gal Zauberman, 1999. "Goal-Based Construction of Preferences: Task Goals and the Prominence Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1057-1075, August.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00197186 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carmon, Ziv & Ariely, Dan, 2000. " Focusing on the Forgone: How Value Can Appear So Different to Buyers and Sellers," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 360-370, December.
- N. Georgescu-Roegen, 1936. "The Pure Theory of Consumers Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 545-593.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1977. "Price Dependent Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 64-75, March.
- Tibor Scitovszky, 1944. "Some Consequences of the Habit of Judging Quality by Price," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 100-105.
- Charles R. Plott & Kathryn Zeiler, 2007. "Exchange Asymmetries Incorrectly Interpreted as Evidence of Endowment Effect Theory and Prospect Theory?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1449-1466, September.
- Fuad Aleskerov & Denis Bouyssou & Bernard Monjardet, 2007. "Utility Maximization, Choice and Preference," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00197186, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:02-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.