Aggregate business fixed investment
An aggregate business fixed investment error correction model (ECM) is estimated with Icelandic data. The user cost of capital increased considerably in the 1980s as capital markets in Iceland were liberalised and interest rates were adjusting. From the 1990s and onwards, however, the user cost has been decreasing steadily. And the relative price of business investment has been downward trending since the 1980s. A high Q ratio over the period portrays an increased demand for capital. The first order condition of capital for profits which is derived for a constant elasticity of substitution production function has minor long-run role for the user cost. Investment and capital, and investment, value added and the user cost do, however, give expected estimates of cointegration coefficients. In the short-run dynamics of the ECM, gearing, Q and profit ratios move with investment. Official figures show an unprecedented capital decrease in the 1990s in Iceland. The possibility of mismeasured technology investment is explored briefly.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kalkofnsvegi 1, 150 Reykjavik|
Web page: http://www.sedlabanki.is/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Breece & Vincenzo Cassino, 1998. "The Forecasting and Policy System: demand-side satellite models," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G98/3, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Andrea Caggese, 2003.
"Financing constraints, irreversibility, and investment dynamics,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24828, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Caggese, Andrea, 2007. "Financing constraints, irreversibility, and investment dynamics," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 2102-2130, October.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing constraints, irreversibility and investment dynamics," Economics Working Papers 1008, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2006.
- Andrea Caggese, 2003. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," FMG Discussion Papers dp440, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," Working Papers 53, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, 1998. "Credit and Business Cycles," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(1), pages 18-35, 03.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 1997.
NBER Working Papers
6264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellis, Colin & Simon Price, 2003.
"UK Business Investment: Long-Run Elasticities and Short-Run Dynamics,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
73, Royal Economic Society.
- Colin Ellis & Simon Price, 2003. "UK business investment: long-run elasticities and short-run dynamics," Bank of England working papers 196, Bank of England.
- Colin Ellis & Simon Price, 2004. "UK business investment: long-run elasticities and short-run dynamics," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 27, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Benito, Andrew & Garry Young, 2002.
"Hard Times or Greatr Expectations?: Dividend Omissions and Dividend Cuts by UK Firms,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
21, Royal Economic Society.
- Andrew Benito & Garry Young, 2003. "Hard Times or Great Expectations? Dividend Omissions and Dividend Cuts by UK Firms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(5), pages 531-555, December.
- Andrew Benito & Garry Young, 2001. "Hard Times or Great Expectations?: Dividend omissions and dividend cuts by UK firms," Bank of England working papers 147, Bank of England.
- Bean, Charles R, 1981. "An Econometric Model of Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 106-21, March.
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1994. "Small Sample Bias and Adjustment Costs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 52-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ice:wpaper:wp27_bjorn. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Central Bank of Iceland)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.