WTP/WTA Disparity: Have We Been Observing Dynamic Values but Interpreting Them as Static?, The
This study advances, and experimentally tests, a new explanation for the disparity between willingness to pay (WTP) and willingness to accept (WTA)â€”a dynamic neoclassical theory based on the presence of commitment costs. While to date neoclassical models have not explained the observed data patterns well, we find that the commitment cost theory is able to explain adequately the causes and severity of the WTP/WTA value disparity. In particular, using data gathered from an actual marketplace, even the most stringent of our theoretical conjecturesâ€”cases where WTP values are predicted to exceed WTA valuesâ€”oftentimes are met.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: https://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Jinhua & Kling, Catherine L., 2001.
"A new explanation for the WTP/WTA disparity,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 293-300, December.
- Zhao, Jinhua & Kling, Catherine L., 2001. "A new explanation for the WTP/WTA disparity," ISU General Staff Papers 200112010800001232, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John A. List, 2003. "Does Market Experience Eliminate Market Anomalies?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 41-71.
- John List, 2003. "Does market experience eliminate market anomalies?," Natural Field Experiments 00297, The Field Experiments Website.
- Knez, Peter & Smith, Vernon L & Williams, Arlington W, 1985. "Individual Rationality, Market Rationality, and Value Estimation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 397-402, May.
- List, John A & Shogren, Jason F, 1998. "The Deadweight Loss of Christmas: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1350-1355, December.
- Brookshire, David S & Coursey, Don L, 1987. "Measuring the Value of a Public Good: An Empirical Comparison of Elicitation Procedures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 554-566, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)