Cost Focussed Firms and Internet Usage
This paper looks at Internet usage by Australian firms that have a cost focussed competitive strategy. The data source for this analysis is the Melbourne Institute Business Survey, conducted by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. The survey was conducted in late 2001, and targeted large Australian firms. Instrumental variables estimation found that cost-focussed organizations utilised the Internet more intensively for both internal organizational activities and external market activities than organizations that did not have a high focus on costs. However, this impact appeared greater for internal organizational activities, suggesting that these firms possibly believed that there were greater cost savings and efficiency gains-at least in terms of Internet usage-to be had in using the Internet as part of the internal operations of the organization.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://melbourneinstitute.unimelb.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gertner, Robert H & Stillman, Robert S, 2001. "Vertical Integration and Internet Strategies in the Apparel Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 417-440, December.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert H. Gertner & Robert S. Stillman, 2001. "Vertical Integration and Internet Strategies in the Apparel Industry," NBER Chapters,in: E-commerce, pages 417-440 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dean Parham & Paul Roberts & Haishun Sun, 2001. "Information Technology and Australia’s Productivity Surge," Development and Comp Systems 0110006, EconWPA.
- Andrew J. Schlauch & Steven Laposa, 2001. "E-Tailing and Internet-Related Real Estate Cost Savings: A Comparative Analysis of E-tailers and Retailers," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(1/2), pages 43-54.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Martin Kenney & James Curry, 1999. "e-commerce: implications for firm strategy and industry Configuration," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 131-151.
- Luis Garicano & Steven N. Kaplan, 2001. "The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs," NBER Chapters,in: E-commerce, pages 463-485 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garicano, Luis & Kaplan, Steven N, 2001. "The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 463-485, December.
- Luis Garicano & Steven N. Kaplan, 2000. "The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs," NBER Working Papers 8017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Pilat & Frank C. Lee, 2001. "Productivity Growth in ICT-producing and ICT-using Industries: A Source of Growth Differentials in the OECD?," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/4, OECD Publishing.
- Cheng, Chun Hung & Cheung, Waiman & Chang, Man Kit, 2002. "The use of the Internet in Hong Kong: Manufacturing vs. service," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 33-45, January.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Grant D. H. Maclaine, 1994. "Health Care Reform," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 27(2), pages 81-88.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-528, June.
- Joanne Loundes, 2002. "Business Use of the Internet in Australia," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2002n20, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2002n29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.