The German-Czech border region after the fall of the Iron Curtain: Effects on the labour market : an empirical study using the IAB Employment Sample (IABS)
"Using the IAB Employment Sample (IABS) covering 1980-2001 we investigate what impact the fall of the Iron Curtain has had on the skill structure of employment and wages in the western German districts neighbouring the Czech Republic. The introduction of free trade in this region, which has one of the world's largest spatial wage differentials, can be seen as a natural experiment. We presume that changes in skill and wage structures are particularly apparent in the regions situated immediately on the open border. Distinguishing three skill categories we obtain unexpected results. Though we observe a general shift from low-skilled jobs towards skilled jobs and a convergence trend of border regions towards the national average, we do not find a special effect for the period after the opening of the border, neither concerning the skill structure nor the wage differentials." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||09 Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2005.
"The Impact of EU Enlargement on European Border Regions,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
330, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2008. "The impact of EU enlargement on European border regions," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3/4), pages 163-186.
- Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2005. "The Impact of EU Enlargement on European Border Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa05p114, European Regional Science Association.
- Borjas, George J & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995. "Foreign Competition, Market Power, and Wage Inequality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1075-1110, November.
- Thiess Buettner & Johannes Rincke, 2007.
"Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration: The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 536-560, November.
- Thiess Büttner & Johannes Rincke, 2004. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration - The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1179, CESifo Group Munich.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
Department of Economics
95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Papers 95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernd Fitzenberger, 1999. "International Trade and the Skill Structure of Wages and Employment in West Germany," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(1+2), pages 67-89, July.
- Jürgen Riedel & Gerhard Untiedt & Björn Alecke & Sylvia Pintarits & Saul W. Revel & Michael Ridder & Frank Scharr, 2001. "EU-Osterweiterung und deutsche Grenzregionen : Strukturpolitik und Raumplanung in den Regionen an der mitteleuropäischen EU-Außengrenze zur Vorbereitung auf die EU-Erweiterung," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 28-1, October.
- Jim Airola & Chinhui Juhn, 2008.
"Wage Inequality in Post-Reform Mexico,"
Journal of Income Distribution,
Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 17(1), pages 110-134, March.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2004.
"Spatial Effects of European Integration : Do Border Regions Benefit Above Average?,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
307, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2006. "Spatial Effects of European Integration: Do Border Regions Benefit above Average?," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 36(3), pages 254-78.
- Barjak, Franz & Heimpold, Gerhard, 1999. "Development Problems and Policies at the German Border with Poland," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa136, European Regional Science Association.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1996. "In Search of Stolper-Samuelson Effects on U.S. Wages," NBER Working Papers 5427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Griliches, Zvi, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-97, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200701. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.