The past, present and future of central banking
The financial crisis, on the one hand, and the recourse to ‘unconventional’ monetary policy, on the other, have given a sharp jolt to perceptions of the role and status of central banks. In this paper we start with a brief ‘contrarian’ history of central banks since the second world war, which presents the Great Moderation and the restricted focus on inflation targeting as a temporary aberration from the norm. We then discuss how recent developments in fiscal and monetary policy have affected the role and status of central banks, notably their relationships with governments, before considering the environment central banks will face in the near and middle future and how they will have to change to address it.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/departments/accountancy-economics-finance.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy; What Instruments and How to Use them? Lessons From Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Buiter, Willem H., 2012.
"The Role of Central Banks in Financial Stability: How has it changed?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8780, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2013. "The Role of Central Banks in Financial Stability: How Has It Changed?," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Role of Central Banks in Financial Stability How Has It Changed?, chapter 2, pages 11-56 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Marcus Miller, 2011. "Macroeconomics: A Discipline Not A Science," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(s2), pages 21-24, 09.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2010.
"Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2010-06, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2011. "Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study," NBER Working Papers 16845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2010.
"Unconventional Monetary Policies: An Appraisal,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(s1), pages 53-89, 09.
- Julia Darby & Jacques Melitz, 2008. "Social spending and automatic stabilizers in the OECD," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 715-756, October.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates,"
in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- David Cobham & Stefania Cosci & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2008.
"Informal Central Bank Independence: An Analysis For Three European Countries,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(3), pages 251-280, 07.
- David Cobham & Stefania Cosci & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2008. "Informal central bank independence: an analysis for three European countries," CEIS Research Paper 116, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008.
"Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate,"
FMG Special Papers
sp180, Financial Markets Group.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008. "Should Monetary Policy respond to Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- C.A.E. Goodhart, 2010. "Money, Credit And Bank Behaviour: Need For A New Approach," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 214(1), pages F73-F82, October.
- Mangano, Gabriel, 1998. "Measuring Central Bank Independence: A Tale of Subjectivity and of Its Consequences," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 468-92, July.
- Claudio Borio, 2011. "Central banking post-crisis: What compass for uncharted waters?," BIS Working Papers 353, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bean, Charles, 1998. "The New UK Monetary Arrangements: A View from the Literature," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(451), pages 1795-1809, November.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Forder, James, 1998. "Central Bank Independence--Conceptual Clarifications and Interim Assessment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 307-34, July.
- Simon Wren-Lewis, 2011. "Lessons From Failure: Fiscal Policy, Indulgence And Ideology," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 217(1), pages R31-R46, July.
- Anthony Garratt & Gary Koop & Emi Mise & Shaun Vahey, 2008.
"Real-time Prediction with UK Monetary Aggregates in the Presence of Model Uncertainty,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2008/13, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Garratt, Anthony & Koop, Gary & Mise, Emi & Vahey, Shaun P., 2009. "Real-Time Prediction With U.K. Monetary Aggregates in the Presence of Model Uncertainty," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 480-491.
- Anthony Garratt & Gary Koop & Emi Mise & Shaun P Vahey, 2007. "Real-time Prediction with UK Monetary Aggregates in the Presence of Model Uncertainty," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0714, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008. "Should Monetary Policy Respond To Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 206(1), pages 25-34, October.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- John, Sarah & Roberts, Matt & Weeken, Olaf, 2012. "The Bank of England’s Special Liquidity Scheme," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 52(1), pages 57-66.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:163:y::i:1:p:87-98 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:hwuedp:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.