Duration-Based Volatility Estimation
We develop a novel approach to estimating the integrated variance of a general jump-diffusion with stochastic volatility. Our approach exploits the relationship between the speed (distance traveled per fixed time unit) and passage time (time taken to travel a fixed distance) of the Brownian motion. The new class of duration-based IV estimators derived in this paper is shown to be robust to both jumps and market microstructure noise. Moreover, their asymptotic and finite sample properties compare favorably to those of commonly used robust IV estimators.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oxf:wpaper:264 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole E. & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Shephard, Neil, 2006.
"Limit Theorems For Bipower Variation In Financial Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 677-719, August.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Papers 2005-W06, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hst:ghsdps:gd08-034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.