Subgame Perfect Implementation with Almost Perfect Information and the Hold-Up Problem
The foundations of incomplete contracts have been questioned using or extending the subgame perfect implementation approach of Moore and Repullo (1988). We consider the robustness of subgame perfect implementation to the introduction of small amounts of asymmetric information. We show that Moore-Repullo mechanisms may not yield (even approximately) truthful revelation in pure or totally mixed strategies as the amount of asymmetric information goes to zero. Moreover, we argue that a wide class of extensive-form mechanisms are subject to this fragility.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in NBER Working Paper Series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Littauer Center, Cambridge, MA 02138|
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kim-Sau Chung & Jeffrey C. Ely, 2003.
"Implementation with Near-Complete Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 857-871, 05.
- Chen, Yi-Chun & Kunimoto, Takashi & Sun, Yifei, 2015. "Implementation with Transfers," Discussion Papers 2015-04, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Che, Y.K. & Hausch, D.B., 1997.
"Cooperative Investments and the Value of Contracting,"
9714, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Donald B. Hausch & Yeon-Koo Che, 1999. "Cooperative Investments and the Value of Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 125-147, March.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-57, November.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1999. "Two Remarks on the Property-Rights Literature," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(1), pages 139-149.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1982.
"Two-Person Bargaining Problems with Incomplete Infonnation,"
527, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1984. "Two-Person Bargaining Problems with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 461-87, March.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1997.
"Games with imperfectly observable commitment,"
Other publications TiSEM
98d6e8cb-38a1-4341-b53e-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jonathan Weinstein & Muhamet Yildiz, 2007. "A Structure Theorem for Rationalizability with Application to Robust Predictions of Refinements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 365-400, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:3708929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office for Scholarly Communication)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.