From "One Country, Two Systems" to Monetary Integration?
The Hong Kong dollar has been pegged to the U.S. dollar since 1983. Recently, the rapid economic integration between Mainland China and Hong Kong has raised concern about the continuing optimality of the peg. Officially, the Hong Kong Special Adminstrative Region (HKSAR) is under the framework of "one country, two systems" and "one country, two currencies". Hence monetary integration was never in the pipeline. However, is the existence of separate currencies consistent with the fast changing economic reality? Would a re-peg with the Renminbi, the Chinese currency, or even a monetary union with the Mainland, be possible options, particularly if the Renminbi becomes fully convertible some time in the future? If so, what are the preconditions for the options? What needs to be done to prepare for them? This paper addresses these interesting questions by going through the complicated issues of trade, real versus nominal convergence, risk sharing as well as labour mobility. It emerges that the status quo is optimal in the foreseeable future.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hammond, George & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1995.
"Regional Insurance Against Asymmetric Shocks. An Empirical Study for the European Community,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Hammond, George W, 1998. "Regional Insurance against Asymmetric Shocks: An Empirical Study for the European Community," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(3), pages 331-353, June.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Ping HUA, 2001. "The Balassa-Samuelson effect and inflation in the Chinese provinces," Working Papers 200106, CERDI.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg A. Lans, 1995.
"Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers,"
024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Discussion Paper 1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers," DELTA Working Papers 95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Soyoung Kim, 2000.
"Dynamic Risk Sharing in the United States and Europe,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1621, Econometric Society.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Kim, Soyoung, 2004. "Dynamic risksharing in the United States and Europe," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 809-836, May.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Neumann, Manfred J M, 1994.
"Real Exchange Rates within and between Currency Areas: How Far Away Is EMU?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 236-244, May.
- Neumann, Manfred J.M. & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates Within and Between Currency Areas: How Far Away is EMU?," CEPR Discussion Papers 660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neumeyer, Pablo Andres, 1998.
"Currencies and the Allocation of Risk: The Welfare Effects of a Monetary Union,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 246-259, March.
- Neumeyer, P.A., 1995. "Currencies and the Allocation of Risk: The Welfare Effect of a Monetary Union," DELTA Working Papers 95-27, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "Monetary union and convergence economics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1091-1101, April.
- Goohoon Kwon, 1997. "Experiences with Monetary Integration and Lessons for Korean Unification," IMF Working Papers 97/65, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:152002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.