Applying the Contingent Valuation Method in Resource Accounting: A Bold Proposal
Resource accounting involves complementing conventional national accounts with changes in environmental and natural resource capital valued in monetary terms. By adopting the Ramsey device of "Bliss", we derive a theoretically consistent environmentally adjusted NDP (Net Domestic Product) measure. The measure indicates sustainable future consumption that an economy can support along the optimal path approaching "Bliss", or "sustainability" determined by national environmental goals. The goals accepted by the Swedish parliament are used to show the applicability of the contingent valuation method to elicit non-market benefits of an economy approaching the sustainability targets. We investigate the compatibility of marginal willingness to pay measures derived on hypothetical markets with market prices used in national accounts. Finally, we raise certain issues of survey design, e.g. to take advantage of the CVM as a democratic device for value estimation over time.
|Date of creation:||27 May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 46-(0)8-453 59 00
Fax: 46-(0)8-453 59 80
Web page: http://www.konj.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arai, Mahmood & Heyman, Fredrik, 2000. "Permanent and Temporary Labour: Job and Worker Flows in Sweden, 1989-1998," Working Paper 71, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Eriksson, Kimmo & Karlander, Johan & Öller, Lars-Erik, 1997.
"Hierarchical Assignments: Stability and Fairness,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
201, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Huhtala, Anni & Samakovlis, Eva, 2003. "Green Accounting, Air Pollution and Health," Working Paper 82, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Barot, Bharat & Yang, Zan, 2002. "House Prices and Housing Investment in Sweden and the United Kingdom: Econometric Analysis for the Period 1970-1998," Working Paper 80, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Ahlroth, Sofia & Bjorklund, Anders & Forslund, Anders, 1997. "The Output of the Swedish Education Sector," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 89-104, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nierwp:0085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrik Hellström)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.