Optimal Risk-Sharing and Deductables in Insurance
Risk-sharing in insurance is analyzed, with a view towards explaining the prevalence of deductibles. First we introduce, in a modern setting, the main concepts of the theory of risk-sharing in a group of agents. This theory we apply to the risk-sharing problem between an insurer and an insurance customer. We motivate the development through simple examples, illustrating some of the subtle points of this theory. In order to deduce deductibles endogenously, not explained in the neoclassical model, we separately introduce (i) the insurable asset as a decision variable, (ii) administrative costs, and (iii) moral hazard, and illustrate by examples.
|Date of creation:||29 Dec 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jewitt, Ian, 1988. "Justifying the First-Order Approach to Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1177-1190, September.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Knut K. Aase, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium and the Structure of Premiums in a Reinsurance Market," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 17(2), pages 93-136, December.
- Aase, Knut K., 2007. "Wealth Effects on Demand for Insurance," Discussion Papers 2007/6, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1986. "The Price Equilibrium Existence Problem in Topological Vector Lattice s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1039-1053, September.
- Baton, Bernard & Lemaire, Jean, 1981. "The Core of a Reinsurance Market," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 57-71, June.
- Gerber, Hans U., 1978. "Pareto-Optimal Risk Exchanges and Related Decision Problems," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 25-33, May.
- Borch, Karl, 1960. "Reciprocal Reinsurance Treaties," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(04), pages 170-191, December.
- Wyler, Erich, 1990. "Pareto Optimal Risk Exchanges and a System of Differential Equations: a Duality Theorem," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 23-31, April.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
- Raviv, Artur, 1979. "The Design of an Optimal Insurance Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 84-96, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2006_024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.