Existence and Uniqueness of Equilibrium in a Reinsurance Syndicate
In this paper we consider a reinsurance syndicate, assuming that Pareto optimal allocations exist. Under a continuity assumption on preferences, we show that a competitive equilibrium exists and is unique. Our conditions allow for risks that are not bounded, and we show that the most standard models satisfy our set of sufficient conditions, which are thus not too restrictive. Our approach is to transform the analysis from an infinite dimensional to a finite dimensional setting.
|Date of creation:||13 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Zame, William R., 1991. "Equilibrium theory in infinite dimensional spaces," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 34, pages 1835-1898 Elsevier.
- Araujo, A. & Monteiro, P. K., 1989. "Equilibrium without uniform conditions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 416-427, August.
- Aase, Knut K., 1993. "Equilibrium in a Reinsurance Syndicate; Existence, Uniqueness and Characterization," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 185-211, November.
- Gerber, Hans U., 1978. "Pareto-Optimal Risk Exchanges and Related Decision Problems," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 25-33, May.
- Dana, Rose Anne, 1993. "Existence and Uniqueness of Equilibria When Preferences Are Additively Separable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 953-57, July.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2008_013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.