Adjusting Stock Market Values to Exchange Rate Exposure: The Case of ASTRA, SCA and STORA
Europe's two largest forest product companies SCA and STORA are located in Sweden. One of the largest firms in Sweden is ASTRA, which is a pharmaceutical company. In this paper I analyze how the variance of these firms' values and their stock returns sensitivity to exchange rates and interest rates are affected by different hedging strategies. First are new share price series constructed there gains and losses due to not undertake any hedging practices for transaction and translation exposure are realized. There after are the exposure coefficients obtained from the adjusted share price compared to the exposure coefficients obtained using the firms core share price as a dependent variable. The results show that SCA and STORA manage to reduce the exchange rate exposure significantly, but that both SCA and STORA´s stock return are still sensitive to contemporaneous changes in exchange rates. The linear multiple regression method was unable to detect any significant exchange rate exposure for ASTRA. However, the hedging of translation and transaction exposure do not necessarily imply that the variance of the firm's value is reduced.
|Date of creation:||07 Oct 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jongmoo Jay Choi & Anita Mehra Prasad, 1995. "Exchange Risk Sensitivity and Its Determinants: A Firm and Industry Analysis of U.S. Multinationals," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(3), Fall.
- Mello, Antonio S. & Parsons, John E. & Triantis, Alexander J., 1995. "An integrated model of multinational flexibility and financial hedging," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 27-51, August.
- Sweeney, Richard J & Warga, Arthur D, 1986. " The Pricing of Interest-Rate Risk: Evidence from the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 393-410, June.
- Khoo, Andrew, 1994. "Estimation of foreign exchange exposure: an application to mining companies in Australia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 342-363, June.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Lars Oxelheim & Clas Wihlborg, 1995. "Measuring macroeconomic exposure: The case of Volvo Cars," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(3), pages 241-263.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.