Entry mode choice and target firm selection: private and collective incentive analysis
The purpose of this paper is to formalize the choices of market entry strategy (Export Vs Greenﬁeld investment Vs Cross border M&A) and the target selection (Acquisition of high-productivity ﬁrm or low-productivity one) for a foreign ﬁrm, and to delineate the relationship between foreign ﬁrm's incentive and host government's intention from an Industrial Organization (IO) perspective. It is found that cross border M&A is always the most proﬁtable entry mode under both green- ﬁeld investment and export credible threats. If greenﬁeld FDI is viable, entering ﬁrm prefers acquiring the low-productivity ﬁrm, when the integration ability is strong and the technological gap is sufﬁciently small; otherwise it prefers highproductivity one. Moreover, there is always the ambiguity between the foreign ﬁrm's preference and the government's judgment. If export entry option is viable, the variation of trade cost will alter the choice of target ﬁrm by the inﬂuence of acquisition price. The higher the trade cost, the more likely foreign ﬁrm purchases low-technology ﬁrm. In addition, the unanimity of private and collective incentive appears under certain circumstances.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00856139|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 2001.
"The equilibrium ownership of an international oligopoly,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 307-333, April.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999. "The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 2302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999. "The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 515, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Görg, Holger, 1998.
"Analysing Foreign Market Entry: The Choice between Greenfield Investment and Acquisitions,"
Economics Technical Papers
981, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Holger Görg, 2000. "Analysing foreign market entry – The choice between greenfield investment and acquisitions," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 165-181, September.
- Bjorvatn, Kjetil, 2004. "Economic integration and the profitability of cross-border mergers and acquisitions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1211-1226, December.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2004.
"Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and FDI policy,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 95-111, October.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Mode of Foreign Entry, Technology Transfer, and FDI Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Facundo Albornoz, 2007.
"Subsidy Competition and the Mode of FDI: Acquisition vs Greenfield,"
05-15R, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Facundo Albornoz, Gregory Corcos and Toby Kendall, 2005. "Subsidy Competition and the Mode of FDI: Acquisition vs Greenfield," Discussion Papers 05-15, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Ignat Stepanok, 2015.
"Cross-border Mergers and Greenfield Foreign Direct Investment,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 111-136, 02.
- Ignat Stepanok, 2012. "Cross-Border Mergers and Greenfield Foreign Direct Investment," Kiel Working Papers 1805, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stepanok, Ignat, 2012. "Cross-border mergers and Greenfield foreign direct investment," Kiel Working Papers 1805, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Stepanok, Ignat, 2010. "Cross-Border Mergers and Greenfield Foreign Direct Investment," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0731, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Nov 2010.
- Albornoz, Facundo & Corcos, Gregory & Kendall, Toby, 2009. "Subsidy competition and the mode of FDI," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 489-501, July.
- Stähler, Frank & Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007.
"The Choice of Market Entry Mode: Greenfield Investment, M&A and Joint Venture,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,19, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "The choice of market entry mode: Greenfield investment, M&A and joint venture," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-10, January.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2008. "FDI as an outcome of the market for corporate control: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 2-20, January.
- Petit, Maria-Luisa & Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca, 2000. "Endogenous R&D and foreign direct investment in international oligopolies," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 339-367, February.
- Neary, J Peter, 2004.
"Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Peter Neary, 2007. "Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1229-1257.
- Neary, J. Peter, 2004. "Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 34, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- J. Peter Neary, 2004. "Cross-border mergers as instruments of comparative advantage," Working Papers 200404, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Gao, Ting, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and growth under economic integration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 157-174, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00856139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.