Monetary, Financial and Fiscal Stability in the East African Community: Ready for a Monetary Union?
We examine prospects for a monetary union in the East African Community (EAC) by developing a stylized model of policymakers' decision problem that allows for uncertain benefits derived from monetary,financial and fiscal stability, and then calibrating the model for the EAC for the period 2003-2010. When policymakers properly allow for uncertainty, none of the countries wants to pursue a monetary union based on either monetary or financial stability grounds, and only Rwanda might favor it on fiscal stability grounds; we argue that robust institutional arrangements assuring substantial improvements in monetary, financial and fiscal stability are needed to compensate.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal-unilim.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00916699|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Hazlewood, 1979. "The End Of The East African Community: What Are The Lessons For Regional Integration Schemes ?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 40-58, September.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983. "Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Narayan K. Kishor & John Ssozi, 2011. "Business Cycle Synchronization in the Proposed East African Monetary Union: An Unobserved Component Approach," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 664-675, November.
- Frank Strobel, 2007. "Joining European Monetary Union: A Real Options Perspective," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(1), pages 105-115, February.
- Sarah Sanya & Matthew Gaertner, 2012. "Assessing Bank Competition within the East African Community," IMF Working Papers 12/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Buigut, Steven K. & Valev, Neven T., 2005. "Is the proposed East African Monetary Union an optimal currency area? a structural vector autoregression analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2119-2133, December.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven Valev, 2004. "Is the Proposed East African Monetary Union an Optimal Currency Area? A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0407, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Strobel Frank, 2009. "Financial Fragility and Crisis Union in the Asia-Pacific Region," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-12, June.
- Strobel, Frank, 2005. "Monetary integration and inflation preferences: A real options analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 845-860, May.
- Frank Strobel, 2004. "Monetary integration and inflation preferences: a real options analysis," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 95, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Richard Podpiera & Martin Cihak, 2005. "Bank Behavior in Developing Countries; Evidence from East Africa," IMF Working Papers 05/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Frank Strobel, 2011. "Bank insolvency risk and different approaches to aggregate Z-score measures: a note," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(16), pages 1541-1543.
- Xavier Debrun & Catherine A Pattillo & Paul R Masson, 2010. "Should African Monetary Unions Be Expanded? An Empirical Investigation of the Scope for Monetary Integration in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 10/157, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas Kigabo RUSUHUZWA & Paul Robert MASSON, 2012. "Design and Implementation of a Common Currency Area in the East African Community," Working Papers tecipa-451, University of Toronto, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)